Print Thread
#1514 06/04/03 11:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've just registered but couldn't wait to post. I am 41yrs. old and have just had m/c #2. We have been pursuing a family since 12/00. I have had two HSG for possible blockage and got pregnant immediately following both procedures. Conceived first pregnancy with IUI in 08/02 and m/c at 5wks., no further testing, pat answer given by RE as to loss. With the fifth IUI following HSG I concieved again. I requested a progesterone level be taken but was told by RE's nurse that there is no sound evidence that there is any relationship to cause concern. The ultrasound at 11 weeks showed no heartbeat. I had been receiving acupuncture and TCM treatments to assist with conception and following the ultrasound had treatment to assist in m/c which did the job w/o requiring D & C. RE will karotype but indicated that further testing will not proceed until after the 3rd. m/c. I do not want to go through this and was very upset. At 41 the clock is booming and time is of the essence. As I live in Alberta (clogged public health system) getting to see an RE took several months and appointments are far & few between. Is there any references to Drs. in Alberta, and more specifically, Edmonton; who actively pursue additional testing?
One other thing, at about 7 weeks I experienced what I believed to be a clot in my inner left thigh, with lots of pain and discomfort of which I had never experienced prior. It later moved into my knee and the pain dissipated after a couple of hours (and a couple of aspirin) but it left my toes with numbness and tingling for weeks following. I had an appointment with GP following the weekend episode but she did nothing further to explore this. After reading on this site I see that there is a direct relationship between clotting and m/c. Is there a specific test I should request to have GP investigate further?
I applaud all those women who continue to support and guide those of us through our losses. I thank you from my heart, soul and womb.

#1515 06/05/03 04:36 AM
Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Dear Friend,

I am so sorry to hear about your experience. As a mother who lost 8 babies to recurrent miscarriage before my son was born, I understand how devastated you must be. My heart goes out to you.

Firstly, no matter who you are, at 41 it's prudent to have progesterone support. Secondly, now that you have experienced your second miscarriage you are a candidate to see a hematologist to explore whether you have clotting issues, specifically antiphospholipid syndrome and anti cardiolipin.

There is a comprehensive paper by Dr. Roger Bick on this website. Please read through it. It is possible to actually have a consult with Dr. Bick if you are interested but please read through the information first. Here is the link: http://www.asklenore.info/miscarriage/bick/bickintro.html

Start here and then let me know if you have further questions or concerns.

(I just realized that the above link wasn't working and have fixed it today, sorry about that).

Fondly,

Last edited by Lenore; 06/14/03 04:14 AM.

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
Lenore #1516 06/11/03 10:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for your continued support. I have forward info. on your website and your response to me to my RE Dr. She has scheduled me for the tests you mentioned in six weeks apparently this time is needed to clear all hormones from the pregnancy. She also indicated that those results will determine whether or not I am given progesterone and heparin support with the next pregnancy. I would like to know your opinion on her response to my query. I have to believe that I and my Dr. are doing everything possible to maintain a pregnancy to term and so now play the waiting game until results show/ or do not show cause for the miscarriages.
Thanks again.

#1517 06/14/03 04:16 AM
Canada
L
L
Canada
I'm happy to hear that your RE is willing to have you tested. Once you receive the results, please let me know. There are other tests besides these two. If you wish, I can put you in touch with Dr. Roger Bick, the author of the paper mentioned in my post above. He accepts patients from this website. He is without a doubt one of the world's experts on recurrent miscarriage. He's done a wonderful job with Barbi, check out her posts. If you want me to refer you, just email me privately at lenore@asklenore.info and I'll be happy to help out.

Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
Lenore #1518 09/29/03 10:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I haven't posted in some time as I had to wait to meet with the RE on the blood test results. All other tests but the protein C came back normal. I was told my level was at 72 and normal is between 74-84, and so they re-tested and this time it appeared within the normal range. However, the RE did say that the protein C tends to drop when you are pregnant. So I am hoping that if/when I get pregnant again they would watch this carefully and treat if necessary. My TCM/Acupuncturist has suggested a particular fungus that the Chinese use quite freely in cooking which has properties that may assist with this so I will try that.
My RE did indicate that she would do another HSG if I am not pregnant within 3 mos. as it was following the proceedure that I conceived on both occasions. No other advice or protocols were suggested by the RE and I guess I'll just have to keep trying with IUI's and trust that we will succeed.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.