photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15459 04/21/13 07:02 PM
OP Offline
Hi everyone,

We need advice on pump selection between the Pump in Style Advanced and the Limerick.

Here is some background information. I am currently following the Regular Protocol to induce lactation (on 60th day of BC and Domperidone now). My partner is pregnant, our son is due in August and the plan is to breastfeed in tandem. I am going to be working full-time.

We are now looking into purchasing a pump. We can rent a Medela Symphony to get things started but we do want to get our own pump. We would both want to be using the pump once the baby is here, but I would be the main user. Since I'll be working during the pumping phase of the protocol and also after the baby's born, portability would be nice (I ride a bicycle to work so I can carry a heavier pump, but if it's lighter it'll make my life easier). Also, because I work in a cubicle, I'd have to pump elsewhere (to be determined). Some perks would be ease of cleaning, more discreet pump, and also lower noise.

I understand that there is a significant price difference between the PISA and Limerick.

(Lenore kindly replied to my initial query about the Medela Freestyle which is not indicated for inducing lactation, and she mentioned the Limerick along with the PIS.)

Any input on your part would be appreciated. We've done our research but do not have hands on experience about pumps or breastfeeding. Our main concern is that milk ends up getting produced since it being on the Protocol has been an investment in time and energy.

Thank you tons for your comments. This forum has been an invaluable resource.

C
C
Hi: I am not familiar with the Limerick as it is not available here in my region in Canada (maybe not in Canada at all) but I would also encourage you to consider the Ameda Purely Yours. This is an excellent quality, double electric pump. We often use it here with our program for clients who are separated from their babies (often for months at a time due to apprehension of the child by the child protection agency CAS.) The bare bones pump (without the added bottles, etc. is not overly expensive and the quality is excellent. Flanges are also available in a variety of sizes through Ameda if this is needed. All the best, Carrie

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I used both the PIS(regular) and the Limerick. I liked them both, but I ended up using the PIS more. I think if the price difference is significant, then I would just use the PIS. I was able to get my Limerick online and it is rated multiple user. I was able to sell it for almost as much as I bought it for, so if you can get it that way, it might be a good deal.

My understanding is that the Ameda is not appropriate for inducing?

Jennifer

OP Offline
Thank you for the replies and insight! We still haven't purchased the pump but will do so soon.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.