photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15508 05/15/13 12:58 AM
OP Offline
Hi,

I am on the regular protocol and have been experiencing all sorts of effect lately. I was wondering which are actual side effects. I am currently taking the birth control pills and domperidone (not pumping yet).

I understand that breakthrough bleeding is normal. It happened a bit at first, then every couple of weeks and now it's continuous. I thought it was supposed to subside.

Also, recently I've been experiencing persistent period-like cramps and pain. Has this happened to anyone else? Is it normal?

I am extremely tired, too, even when I get lots of sleep and drink coffee.

Sorry if tmi, but my digestion has been off too, I get gassy in a way that is unusual.

And last but not least, weight gain. Will this level off? What should I expect?

Thanks for your input! smile

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I think that can all be normal. I think the best way to try to avoid breakthrough bleeding, is to start the protocol on day 5 of your period, but it is too late to do that now, so I wouldn't worry about it. I did have some bleeding, but not continuous.

I don't know about the cramps, but they could be related to the digestion issues?

The tiredness is partly because of the hormones and your body "thinks" it is pregnant. That is very normal.

Domperidone affects digestions. It is a gastro intestinal drug. The side effects should lessen.

I gained about 9 lbs while on the protocol, but I think it was mostly due to the bcp's, not the dom. Most of the weight came off when I started bf.

How long have you been on the protocol?

Jennifer

OP Offline
Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the reply. It's reassuring to hear another person's experience.

I started the protocol exactly 3 months ago today on the first day of my period. The baby is due mid August.

The breakthrough bleeding has now become totally continuous.

The cramps are definitely not the digestive kind. They are like period cramps. They are not continuous though.

Does the tiredness subside once the bcp are stopped (since the body no longer is "pregnant")? or is it the dom?

It's also reassuring to hear about your weight gain because it's in the same ballpark as me at the moment. How long did you take bcp for? I take Ortho 35 1, does it make any difference? I've never taken bcp before so I have no idea how I would normally react to them.

Also, one of the side effects I forgot to mention is feeling down and experiencing mood swings. Is this normal too? Does it subside when I go off the bcp?

Thank you tons for all the info.

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
I replied to your private message too.

I would think the bleeding should subside at some point, but either way I wouldn't worry about it (other than it being a pain in the neck to be bleeding all the time), it shouldn't affect the protocol.

The cramps are probably because you are having the bleeding.

The tiredness might be because of the bcp's but once you have the baby you will be tired all the time wink

I took the bcp's 8 months the first time and 11 months the second time. I took Yasmin.

I think the mood swings could be related to the bcp's.

Jennifer

OP Offline
Thank you for following up! smile

E
E
Hi there! Thought I'd share too. I'm on the protocol for the 3rd time (2 adopted kids, 5 & 8) and have been on it for a year this go-round. Each time, I've had "breakthrough bleeding" continuously -- a little crazy making but I've gotten used to it. It's very light most of the time with periodic heavier times and cramps, like you. I've also gained 10 lbs my last 2 times on the protocol, which last time came off immediately once I stopped the BCPs (Yasmin). Hang in there!

I think I'm also lower energy and maybe occasional mood swings; can totally be related to the BCPs.

Erin

OP Offline
Thank you for sharing Erin.

Your experience sounds very similar to mine and seems in line with Jennifer's as well so it's good to know it's not all in my head!

C
C
I have some similar and some different questions - thought I'd tag onto this recent active thread.

1) I am taking progesterone - 200 mg prometrium. At 100 mg I was bleeding most every day, after a few days into it. So my naturopath increased to 200. I've been taking that for the last 3 months, however, I still get a period - i.e. am bleeding for about 5 days after about 28 days. I still take the pill when I'm bleeding
QUESTION: Should I *not* be bleeding? I hear that "breakthrough" is common but a period?

2) I do not have any significant breast changes. i.e. - the guidebook about the protocols talks about increasing breast cup size.
QUESTION: Does this mean the protocol is not working as hoped and I should adjust?

3) My naturopath gave me a few options - even though I am over 35 and I get aura migraines (so estrogen is contraindicated) she offered that I could try a very low does of estrogen - take a "0.25 vivelle dot estrogen" plus the progesterone. Or I could try the Yasmin.
QUESTION: My naturopath wants to know, if we are adjusting the doses, what is the design or outcome we are going for?

I am a prospective adoptive parent with no birth date in sight, so I am game to continue trying whatever. I'd really appreciate input - my doc is game to work with me, but she has no knowledge or experience of it and suggests that I seek out advice from people who do. I will also email Newman and Goldfarb, but when I wrote them in February with questions I never heard anything back.

C

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
I replied to your other thread with e-mail addresses and I hope that helps.

I don't really know how to answer your questions. I am not sure that "just" progesterone will stop your periods. I took the Yasmin and had good luck on it. It did stop my periods, although I did have some time with breakthrough bleeding.

I didn't have much breast change while on the protocol, but I also didn't have much breast change when I was pregnant either. My breast change came more when breastfeeding.

I do not know if the progesterone only protocol is as effective as the bcp one. Reading other peoples stories it seems like it is not, but you do need to do what is best for you.

I was on the protocol long term while waiting to be matched.

Good luck!
Jennifer

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.