photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
OP Offline
I
Good evening everyone,

I am currently on the regular protocol with the hopes of inducing to provide for an upcoming adoption from a family member with some issues going on her life. Our timeline was initially 6+ months out for the mothers due date but it appears her situation may be more dire then anticipated and the infant she has currently could be placed with us at any time.

I have been scrounging through the forums and have found conflicting information in regards to the effects of breastfeeding/pumping while on the protocols.

Some information has said to continue the protocols for as long as possible (at least 30 days or after significant breast changes occur) and breastfeed with the use of a lact-aid until your milk comes in. This teaches the baby to breastfeed and allows for a quick transition to your natural milk once the supply comes in.

Other information has said to not stimulate the breasts at all (pumping or breastfeeding) during the entire run of the protocol until the birth control is dropped. At that time pumping begins, ideally 6-8 weeks out from the due date. The same posts suggest that any breastfeeding/pumping while on the protocol could have detrimental effects to the breast development as your body becomes confused as to if it should be developing the breast tissue or go into full on milk production mode.

My questions is, which one is it? Can you put a baby to breast and allow it to latch to your breast and supply via a lact-aid to allow for a longer run of the protocols or will it have a detrimental affect long term?

M
M
My lactation doctor said that it was ok to feed a baby you already have as that is akin to tandem nursing (ie nursing while pregnant)

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
The best thing is to continue on the protocol for at least 30 days, but you can nurse with a lactaid while still on the bcp's. You should not pump at all until you stop the bcp's. You will likely not see any milk from the breasts because the bcp's suppress the milk.

I don't know how it works if you are taking the progesterone instead of the bcp's, because I don't know if they suppress you. I would probably e-mail Lenore if that is your case.

I'm a little confused. How long have you been on the protocol? When is her due date? How old is the baby she has with her now?

Jennifer

I
OP Offline
I
I have only been on the protocol for a week at this point. Situation is extremely fluid at the moment so I am trying to get information in regards to different scenarios that could happen.

As of right now the mother is pregnant and due mid December. She also has a an infant now who is only 5-6 months of age (back to back pregnancies). Numerous issues with the mom, and to keep a long story short, CPS is involved in all of it.

Original plan was for us to adopt the unborn baby in December after she gives birth but from the information we received it looks like CPS may be stepping in and removing her current infant from the home and placing him with us permanently (past CPS issues... long history going on with the mother)

Anyhow, as I mentioned the situation is changing on almost a day to day basis it seems and my question above is just my way of looking for further information in regards to remaining on the protocols for as long as possible before dropping the birth control as it seems there is a good possibility of 2 breast feeding kiddos being placed with us and I would like to give myself every advantage possible to be able to provide for the both of them.

M
M
Regardless of how the breastfeeding situation works out I commend you for stepping up in what is clearly a difficult situation.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.