#15939 04/16/14 07:36 PM
Lloydminster, AB
S
StephM Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Lloydminster, AB
Hi

This seems like the board where most people are posting about pumping so my question to you all is what does the pumping schedule look like.

I have seen a few different instructions on the website and this is what I am taking from it. Let me know if I am wrong.

I take my BCP at night, I will take the last pill and then the next morning I am suppose to pump every 2 hours by day and 3 hours by night for 48 hours? Then for the next two weeks every three hours? Do I need to pump at night? And then after the first two weeks every 2 - 3 hours and once in the night? Does that sound about right?

Thanks!

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Hi Steph,

Your schedule above looks accurate. In regards to pumping at night, the answer is that to the extent possible it is best to pump once during the night. Your prolactin levels will be highest at night. I set my alarm for between 2 and 3 am and pumped for 20 minutes. You will see great results doing this. The maintenance schedule of pumping every 3 hours during the day and once at night is a good schedule. Some days you won't be able to do this but just try to stick to the regiment and don't be hard on yourself when you can't. Best of luck and keep us updated.

Lloydminster, AB
S
StephM Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Lloydminster, AB
Thanks Claudia! I start Sat! I will keep you updated!

Lloydminster, AB
S
StephM Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Lloydminster, AB
I am 3.5 weeks into the pumping. I am producing about 6-8oz a day! I produce the most milk mid day and just tiny amounts during the night.

Baby should be here by next Thursday or sooner. Our birth mom is set to be induced on June 5th!

I am only taking 2 x 3 herbs a day as they really seem to bother my stomach. I am thinking about upping the dose to see if that produces anymore. I am also going to try to add 2 more pumping sessions a day as soon as I am done work this Friday!

I spoke to a lactation consultant and she said that I won't start supplementing till baby is 5-6 days old and after she is weighed to see if she lost lots of weight. I would love to not have to supplement but I don't think I have enough of a supply right now!

How did everyone's supply change once baby was here?

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
That is great progress! Are you taking dom? If so, what is your dose? Are you taking the herbs with food? Does that help your stomach? The baby is best at draining your milk ducts and you will produce much better results with the baby. Do you have a home baby scale? Some people weigh the baby before and after the feeding to know exactly what they are taking in. Congrats! I am very excited for you!

Lloydminster, AB
S
StephM Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Lloydminster, AB
Thanks Claudia!

I am taking dom, 20mg 4 times a day. Yes I am taking herbs with meals. Has been a bit better, maybe just takes time for my body to get used to it.

No I don't have an at home scale. I will just have to keep an eye on the weight to make sure she isn't loosing too much.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.