photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1654 06/23/03 05:22 AM
OP Offline
Hi All,

I need some help. My left breast, which has always been the wearker producer has up and quit on me....one pumping ago I got what I usually get and then this last pumping....not one drop! The right is the same.

I did hot compresses and tried again.....nada!

The left is the one that I had a lump taken from three years ago and it always looks liek the milk comes from just one place whereas the right has four.

So could it be a plugged duct? Shoudl I take the lecithin and how much/often?

I am worried!

Thanks for your help.

Eden

extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
Does that breast still seem full? This happened to me just the other day for the first time. It was my right breast, and I got some out of it, but it quit a lot sooner that usual, and was not producing even half of what I normally produce. What I did was take a hot shower, and use my Avent Isis hand pump in the shower. This cleared it right up.
If it is a plugged duct, you will notice that milk starting to really fill things up in there.

wife to Jim, mommy to Daphne and Jeran and Jalen
Maryland
csw Offline
Maryland
Hello,
The dose of Lecithin is 1200 mg 4x a day, per Lenore.
It helps to lubricate the ducts. My right breast frequently gives nothing or just drops. My left usually gives me the most milk. It is normal for milk production to flucuate from pumping to pumping. I had a beer one night, and even with drinking extra water that night , the next day I was pretty much dried up. I said never again while doing this! (I had heard from several people the yeast in the beer increases milk production, an old trick the wet nurses used to use).
Try Dawns idea of pumping in the shower. I have a Medela manual pump that came with my PIS, but I do like the idea of the Avent, it can be used with one hand. Also, keep using the heat before pumping and try the lecithin. It seems early for you to be getting a plugged duct, most of the women on this board had been pumping around 5 months before they got one, but everyone is different.
How much longer till the baby is here?? You must be so excited..your whole life will change,,for the better! Take care, Cathy

NG protocol 7 months.pumped 5/15-9/15 started pumping again 1/26/04 Ana born 6/03.home 3/30/04 trying to nurse!
csw #1657 06/23/03 02:47 PM
OP Offline
Thanks Dawn and Cath,

The baby come sin three weeks.....wow! I am so excited and nervous.

My left is still giving nothing. It feels harder than usual. I don't feel particularly engorged, but I don't think I was making enough milk to feel that way.

I saw on an old Nona post that the does was 400mg four time a aday. What do you think?

Thanks everybody.....I am so grateful for this board.

Eden

OP Offline
itttt's baaaaack!

Whoosh!

I took two lecithin tabs at 1200 mg over four hours and did the shower pump and rest and hot compress and when ti blew it gave me almost an ounce!

Lenore said it didn't sound much like a plugged duct, but something was awry and now it is ok. It is giving what it normally gives.

Thanks everyone,

eden

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Eden,
Glad all is well again, what names do you have picked out?
take care,
Cathy

#1660 06/24/03 07:13 PM
OP Offline
Dammit! Plugged again! What the heck is going on?

I am eating oatmeal everyday....think I am too creamy for only one opening on my left? I am baffled.

The name is Isabelle Augusta Lorraine.

Isabelle the BM likes and so do we....the other two names are the names of the Grandmothers.

Eden

What's happening over there cathy? Supply coming back?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Eden,
I don't know what to say about the plugged duct, keep up with the pumping in the shower and the Lecithin. One day I get a little from the right and the next just drops...I am really flucuating from day to day,but so far the most I have made recently is 3 ml/cc in a 24 hour period. I am freezing in layers, so far I have ten 1-3 cc syringes and one bottle with almost 1/2 ounce in it from the last week of pumping. I was off the last week and got some much needed sleep, so I am feeling better.
Baby girl due next week in Guatemala, if she is healthy she is ours...so,,I am trying to get my house in order and finish packing. We had actually thought of Isabella as a name, but also both our grandmothers were named Anna,,,,and the Spanish version Ana with one N. I think we have decided on Ana Sofia . If we ever adopt another boy he will be Ronald James or RJ for short, named after my husbands and my father.
I am getting a little nervous with our travel date so close, but I also have to remember she will not be "ready" to come home until (the earliest) end of October. I haven't decided if I will stay the whole time or just for a while this summer then come back with my now 12 year old son (his birthday was yesterday).
I am sure your milk production will sky rocket once your baby is nursing. Also, remember the bonding and nurturing is so important.
Good luck, take care, Cathy

#1662 06/25/03 02:46 PM
OP Offline
Hey cath,

Those are lovely names....I especially like Ana Sofia....gorgeous.

I am so baffled by this whole left breast thing.....how can it go from producing everytime to nothing? Lenore said watch my Soya intake....but it cna't be that as my right is unaffected.Right?

I have been trying to do hot compresses, baths while submerged, pumping, lecithin...the whole nine yards. I am feeling pretty full now and that feels a little uncomfortable. I just don't get it.

Last time it "blew" it gave me an ounce at one sitting ( two days ago) then the next time it was back to nothing....while the right stays consistent.

What is cabbage supposed to do? I read somewhere that it was a home rememdy.

Anyway, Very exciting about your referral. I am sending my best thoughts for a healthy littel whippersnapper. You have been amazing in your perserverance and steadfastness. You are an inspiration!

With Love,

Eden

Maryland
csw Offline
Maryland
Eden,
It does sound like you are getting engorged on that side. Cold cabbage leaves, decrease engorgement. I still think that you are doing everything you can. Let us know if it gets better with the cabbage. Take care, Cathy

NG protocol 7 months.pumped 5/15-9/15 started pumping again 1/26/04 Ana born 6/03.home 3/30/04 trying to nurse!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.