photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
CAMom Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello All. I used the Newman Goldfarb protocol to induce lactation, and thought I would share a little bit about my journey.

We tried to have a baby for four years before moving on to gestational surrogacy. I had ten early pregnancy losses, around week six each time. It is still unexplained infertility. We then worked with a wonderful surrogacy agency in Southern California called Building Families and transferred our last frozen embryo into our surrogate. Our baby boy was born April 30, 2014.

I followed the five month protocol. I started getting a few drops of milk the first day I pumped. I pumped ten times a day. When our baby was born, I was getting four ounces a day via pumping. Now, I'm getting about eight to ten ounces a day pumped, plus whatever he gets from me while I use the SNS. I've been weighing him at a local hospital and it varies anywhere from less than half an ounce to more than an ounce from me on breast. Our surrogate is pumping and mailing us milk which has been wonderful. That's what we use in the SNS, combined with what I pump.

Please be prepared that using an SNS is challenging and frustrating at times. I highly prefer the Lact-Aid over the Medela reusable SNS.

To anyone out there reading this struggling with infertility, my heart goes out to you. To anyone following the protocol, I wish you the best. Induced lactation is a huge commitment, but a huge accomplishment. Because I could not carry my baby, I wanted to be able to breastfeed him. I am so grateful to have this opportunity.

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Thanks for sharing. I am glad that the protocol worked for you. It's good for us to be honest that this process is sometimes hard and very emotional. Knowing that it is not just you is important.

J
J
Thank you for sharing!

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.