photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
Hello everyone!

I just discovered that this site has a forum component, so please forgive me if this is in the wrong area. If it is, if you could direct me to the right one I'll happily post it there.

I started pumping Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. On the very first pumping session I was thrilled to see a drop gather on each nipple (yellow, thick). I woke my husband up to celebrate! I was even able to hand express one on the left side smile

But it's been harder and harder to reproduce it and now there's nothing and I can not hand express at all.

I'm on Dom, B/T, F/G and I'm defiantly hydrating. I take Dom 20mg every 6 hours and I'm pumping every 3 hours for 15 minutes around the clock with the Medela Freestyle.

I did have to increase the breast shield size from 24mm to 27mm as I have a duplex nipple on one side and I think it's actually working better for the other side as well.

I am currently having a withdrawal bleed from the BCPs.

I can't get back in to the doctor because she is booked SOLID for the next month (she's a GP and IBCLC LC) so I'm not sure what to do.

So I've been pumping for 3 days and a bit. Am I worried too soon? Any insight anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
jalara48

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Hi Jalara,

What you are experiencing is completely normal in my experience. After the protocol, our milk does not "come in" the same way a mother's would after giving birth. We have to work to slowly produce more milk. It does take some time to see milk at each pumping. Do not get discouraged. In the beginning of pumping I saw more milk hand expressing after using the pump than I did during the pumping session. Over time you will see the pump start to extract milk on its own. I have not heard of anyone using the Medela Freestyle for the protocol. I asked this question a couple of years ago and never got a response. I know that the Medela Pump in Style and the Limerick are two pumps that are recommended. We require a hospital grade pump in order to imitate what a baby would do. I would recommend seeing if this pump is acceptable by emailing Lenore or look into getting the Pump in Style. You can get this at Target or people sell them on this forum. I know this process can be frustrating but hang in there. Remember to relax when you pumping and sometimes it helps to look at pictures of babies or listen to babies crying to help you let down. Good luck and keep us updated.

J
OP Offline
J
Hi Claudia!

Thank you SO much for responding! I really appreciate it.

My doc had told me the Freestyle was the best commercial pump I could buy so I bought it. Guess not. Damn! I will have to see what I can find I guess. Maybe someone has a PIS I can borrow. I've never heard of a Limerick - I'll look into that as well - thank you.

Do you have any thoughts as to why I would have seen a couple drop the first 2 days? Is that just all the hormones I was on?

Thank you for your help!

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Yes, I think it is because of all the hormones and the fact that the hormones you were on were meant to build up your breast tissue to make milk. The act of pumping stimulates the body to start producing that milk. It takes some time. Are you pumping once at night? Are you pumping both breasts at the same time and then hand expressing? There are some good videos online on how to hand express. I always did this after pumping. I also stopped half way through the pumping session and massaged my breasts to help with the process.

J
OP Offline
J
Hi again smile

Okay, thank you.

I do pump twice at night, and find that that is the only time I get a drop - the rest of the time I'm dry.

I can't pump both breast at the same time right now - I have a broken wrist - my husband helps me to when he's home, but when its just me it's one at a time.

I do hand massage but mostly do this after, and when I am pumping one I stimulate the nipple of the other.

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Have you tried making a hands free device by taking an old sports bra and cutting holes near the nipples? You can then put the flanges through the holes and pump both at the same time. I also gently pushed my breast into the flange when pumping to help compress and that helped too. You just mentioned that you have a broken wrist. Are you on any medication that may have adverse effects on your supply? Pain medicine, allergy meds, etc.?

J
OP Offline
J
I could try that. I guess I'm not convinced that the shields will stay in place well enough. The whole thing is still quite awkward to me. smile

With regards to pushing my breast into the flange - I was doing that but then I was worried that I might occlude my ducts.

No pain meds - just a lack of mobility now.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.