Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#17216 09/19/14 01:50 AM
C
Carla Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I have been on the Goldfarb protocol for five months. Estrogen/Progesterone daily and Domperidone. According to the protocol, I should be dropping the BCP soon and starting to pump, but my DH and I are still waiting to be matched with a birth mom.It could be months before that happens. Should I stay on the birth control until matched and then start pumping until the birth, or pump now and continue...possibly for months before baby arrives? My doctor isn't even sure what I should do!

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Hi Carla,

I would recommend staying on the bcps until you are matched. It will give your body a longer time on the protocol which may yield better results later on and pumping is very tiring and time consuming. If there is no end date in sight and you could be pumping for months that may become too much for some people. It's doable but a lot of work. Some people have had a stork drop and started pumping immediately and been ok with building a full supply with the baby present. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

C
Carla Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you Claudia; I appreciate the response,and will most likely stay on the BCP longer. I am over forty and taking an Estrogen/Progesterone, so I don't know how long my OB/GYN will allow it, but I would rather not start the pumping until six weeks before the baby comes. Hopefully we will be chosen soon by a first mom who has a couple of months before the birth. That would be ideal. Otherwise, like you say, I will pump and nurse and do the best I can to build a supply with baby here.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.