Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was just wondering if there are any increased chances of breast cancer or any other side effects like that from taking Dom.? My mother has had breast cancer twice now, and I want to make sure if I take Dom or induce lactation this doesn't increase my risk anymore??
Thanks,
Kerri from Mi

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know of any side effects like that for the dom. Just the BCPs, which I am sure you already knew. I wouldn't want to take dom if breast cancer was a side effect, as my grandmother died of breast cancer. You have to take the dom a lot longer than the BCPs. I do know that breast feeding lowers your risks of breast cancer, so that is a good thing.
DawnL in WA

experienced member
experienced member
Hi Kerri,

The best answer to your question is for you to have a look at this website http://home.intekom.com/pharm/janssen/motilium.html

The brand name for domperidone is Motillium. This medication has been used in Canada for over 20 years to treat gastric problems and nausea. There is a pediatric dose. It's used to help infants who suffer from projectile vomiting. According to Thomas Hale, Ph.D there have not been any pediatric concernes reported. Of the studies that have been done to date, no correlation between domperidone and breast cancer has come up although a study done quite a while ago found that domperidone given in extremely high doses was found to correlate with tumors in rats.

If it's any consolation, breastfeeding for 2 years (breasts lactating) has been found to decrease a woman's risk for breast cancer. Breastfeeding has been found to decrease a woman's risk of ovarian and uterine cancer as well.

There is a Japanese study that examined a population of mothers in a Northern fishing village. These mothers by tradition only fed their babies from one breast thinking the other one contained "bad milk". The study found that there was an increase in breast cancer in the non-lactating breast.

Deciding to use medications to bring in you milk supply is a serious one which needs consideration. You have to weigh the benefits and risks. But while you're doing that, it's also a good idea to weigh the risks of formula feeding. Remember, formula is a cow's milk that has been altered in a laboratory and therefore an over the counter medication. Would you feed your child monkey milk? dog milk? cat milk? What makes cow's milk so special? Frankly the monkey milk would probably be the best choice....but it's still a yucky thought huh?

Gather all your facts so that you can make an informed choice. There are several wonderful articles in the breastfeeding section of this website. Just click on the breastfeeding button at the top of the page.

Esther

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.