Print Thread
#182 10/16/02 02:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We've had a rough couple of months since I've returned to work, with little time to pump and my milk has drastically decreased since bringing in nearly a full supply with the Newman-Goldfarb protocol. Things are finally settling down at work and I'm committed to getting in atleast 2 pumpings per day, baby nurses evening, night, morning and weekends. My question is, how are my milk making structures holding up with this drastic decrease in milk? Would it ever be advisable to do another round of Diane 35 if I wanted an extended breastfeeding relationship?(I'd like to go 2 years, she is almost 5 months old now) I know that my milk would be suppressed during this time, and baby may loose interest (she never took to an SNS or Lactaid), but I'm wondering if it's worth a gamble to increase my supply at this point? Or, is the milk making apparatus still in place since I'm still making milk and I just need to pump more?

Barbara
Mom to Lynsey via TS 5/20/02

#183 10/16/02 04:57 AM
extra helpful experienced member
Barbara,
I would think your breasts are still in condition to make you milk... I would suggest adding at least 4 pumps in a day. Maybe try pumping after she nurses... I am not sure what your schedule is like. Some how work the pumps in... you should see your milk increase

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
#184 10/17/02 05:18 AM
Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Barbara,

Congtatulations on your success with the protocol. Wow a full supply with work looming. What an amazing job you've done for your baby!!!

Nona is right. Since you've already done the protocol and are already making milk, the most effective way to increase your milk supply is by frequent breast emptying. No need to go back on the diane since your milk making apparatus has been established.

I think Esther mentioned on another post that one strategy that working moms use is to breastfeed as often as possible during the hours that they are home which means evenings, once during the night and early morning. If you can arrange it so that you can hand express a couple of times during the work day and store your milk, you should be able to maintain your milk supply.

Now I realize that this sounds like a lot of work but I'm presenting the max. If you can somehow empty your breasts a little more often during the day and very often in the evenings and on the weekends, you can probably keep up your milk supply indefinitely.

It's just a matter of working out a strategy that is work compatible. If pumping is not an option, then hand expression. If storing isn't an option, then down the sink. The key is to have milk for your baby when you are together. So although it pains me to say it, if you have to express into a plant...do it.

Drain, drain, drain those breasts.....

If you'd like some more information on how this all works, please have a look at Dr. Harmann's research paper here: http://biochem.uwa.edu.au/PEH/PEHRes.html

Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.