Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19360 12/15/14 08:40 PM
J
Jessica Offline OP
OP Offline
J
We have adopted a 4 month old little guy who was formula fed and given cereal in his formula. I was on birthcontrol pills and domperidone for 8 months, when we got the little guy it was a 24 hour notice so no time to start the pumping. I tried to put him to the breast a few times but he got frustrated and wouldn't even latch on. SOOOO I stopped the pill and domperidone and am just feeding him formula. I have been off of both of birthcontrol and domperidone for about 5 days and have had a period. I am wondering if it is too late and any advice I can get if I wanted to try again. He devours his milk and that is why I just gave up thinking I wouldn't be able to get enough milk for him. He is eating about 6-7 ounces every 3-4 hours. Does anyone have any thoughts on if this will even be possible. I also have a 3 year old that I was able to nurse.

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Hi Jessica,

I would start the domperidone again and begin your pumping schedule. The pumping will give you the stimulation you need to start producing the milk. You can feed the milk you do produce to your son in the bottle and slowly introduce the breast.

Keep us updated!

J
Jessica Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you for your response. I have pumped about 6 times and mostly just get drops. Do you know about how long until I will start to get some milk? I have started back on the domperidone and am taking 1000mg of fenugreek three times a day

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Hi Jessica,

The speed at which people increase their supply will vary person by person. Remember to hand express after each pumping session. You will find that in the beginning you get more from hand expressing than pumping. I got my first sprays from hand expressing.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.