Next Thread
Print Thread
#1934 07/29/03 08:26 PM
TX, USA!
barbi Offline OP
OP Offline
TX, USA!
Hi All,

I am not sure where to start here. I want to breastfeed my new baby, due in Feb., but am worried that I will have trouble like I did with my son. I tried to breastfeed him for over two weeks, but apparently my milk never came in and he was starving, we had to switch to a bottle. Our ped actually said to just supplement once in a while, but once he started on a bottle he never went back.

My question is, how can I make sure my breast milk will come in? Is there anything I can do now, or closer to my due date, that will help ensure I have breast milk for my baby? I am also concerned about the pain involved. I guess with Brennan since my milk never really came in he was maybe sucking harder then he would normally have to, therefore causing me an excrutiating amount of pain. Is that normal? I was miserable for several weeks even after he stopped.

Any help anyone can give me would be more appreciated then you can even imagine. I have always felt guilty about not being able to breastfeed Brennan and want to make sure that I do everything possible to give this one every chance possible.

Thanks!

Barbi
Mom to Brennan (www.geocities.com\outside26)
Cautiously expecting #2 - 2/4/04

extra helpful experienced member
lBarbi,
It may have not been you. Breastfeeding should not hurt. Your son might have had a bad latch that did not allow for proper stimulation of your breasts. There is nothing you can do til your baby is born. If you are worried about it. I would get a lact-aid just in case. Then make sure you see a LC at the hospital for a proper latch. If your milk is slow coming in.. then you can supliment with the lact-aid at the breast. Stay away from bottles. You can also pump between feedings after your baby is born to help bring in your supply

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Idaho
experienced member
experienced member
Idaho
Barbi, It does sound like your first baby was not sucking properly. Any pain of breast-feeding should go away within 20 seconds of baby latching on--if it lasts the whole feeding, something is wrong with the latch-on. The baby should not have a purse-lipped look like he is sucking on a straw, but rather sucking with a wide-open mouth, taking in your nipple as well as part of the areola and breast. The best thing you can do is find a lactation consultant in your town to meet with once before birth, and then get assistance from her once your baby comes. She will get you off to a good start--I bet if you get your baby sucking right, you will have a much better supply this time around. It is darned hard to produce milk if baby is sucking poorly and you are in misery. Best Wishes for great success this time around!!!!!

Mary in Idaho, mom to 7, including 2 from Korea, and Emily Zion (1�) coming home from Ethiopia in February!
You should read Dr Newman's book, The Breastfeeding Book of Answers. It talks about all kinds of problems, and how to fix them. And definitely talk to a lactaction consultant when the baby is born. If the one at the hospital isn't very helpful, find one through La Leche League. Often, the consultant at the hospital is just the nurse who knows more than the other nurses. They don't necessarily have any training, which may, unfortunately, mean they don't know how to fix many problems.

wife to Jim, mommy to Daphne and Jeran and Jalen
Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Barbi,

I'm sending you a private message too because I want to be sure that you get this.

As the other ladies said, breastfeeding should not hurt. If your son was "sucking too hard" it means he was only on the nipple, not on the breast and therefore not withdrawing your milk adequately.

The BEST thing you can do is get in touch with a board certified lactation consultant. You can find one here www.iblce.org. Just click on either the US Registry or the International one depending on where you're located. Once she assists you with latch and positioning it will be as if a new day has dawned.

Please keep us posted.

Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.