Print Thread
#1995 08/05/03 03:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi, Lenore ask me to post and ask if any of you have breastfed twins. I am expecting twins Oct 15 via GS. I have been on Lenores potocol of bcp and domperidone and am now pumping doing ok for now. My question is have any of you done the protocol and nursed twins? If so I will have more questions. Thanks, Becky

#1996 08/31/03 03:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Becky,

Don't know if this will be helpful but thought I would post. I induced/relactated for my twins after being dry for almost 4 months. I gave birth to my twins and bf the first few months but was very ill including in and out of the hospital, and two surgeries the first two months post partum. I was just too sick to keep bf so I quit at around three months.

A few months later I was feeling better and was heart broken that I stopped bf. After discovering through this and other websites that I could bring milk in, I worked like crazy to bulid a milk supply. I didn't do the bcp only because I felt on occasion, I could get a few drop of milk out. (I have slightly elevated prolactin levels to begin with....part of the reason for my infertiliy problems). Anyway, I took the dom, fenugreek and blessed thistle and pumped like crazy day and night. It took a long time to get a decent supply going and I think that is because I didn't use the bcp first.

As far as bfing twins, I think you can absolutely do it. Coming from a person who nursed and bottle fed twins at different times in their lives, I think with two babies, bf is so much easier (after the first few weeks or months) then bottle feeding. I absolutly hated washing bottles. Cleaning 20 plus bottles a day and making pitcher after pitcher of formula was no fun. Not to mention, it is healthierr for the babies. Also, even though people don't talk about it much, it is harder to bond with multiples then a singleton. Being able to nurse your babies with or w/o a supplimenter is such a wonderful bonding experience.

Breast feeding twins is a challange not to mention inducing lactation for them. You really have to have the mind set that you are going to "accomplish it" not just "give it a try". It is so worth it and I think heals some of the heart ache caused by infertility.

Things I wish I'd known before my twins arrived......
-get a double nursing pillow. I used and liked the EZ to nurse pillow that can be purchased from the doubleblessings website
-get and read the book "mothering multiples" by the leleche league (spelling error)
-the first several weeks are very hard but it does get easier

best of luck to you
Kris

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.