photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Dale Offline OP
OP Offline
D
After 3 weeks of pumping, I am getting 7oz per day. We probably have less than 2 weeks to go, so I assume I will have to supplement.

My question is, how do you know how much to supplement? My book gives an example of "if you have determined that the baby needs 21.5 oz per day, then you subtract your yield to get amount to supplement." Well, duh, I can figure that out. However, how do I know how much the baby needs? I know every baby is different, but is there a rule of thumb chart out there somewhere?

As always, thanks for the help!!

Dale in Atlanta
IM to Alex via GS
due 9/6

Idaho
experienced member
experienced member
Idaho
Dale-- Sounds like you are doing just fabulous for having only pumped for 3 weeks--- wow!! I have heard two different ways of estimating baby's need. The first way is simply that most newborns need between 17 and 25 ounces per day-- I would guess that more active, bigger babies would need the high end of that amount, and smaller babies would need the low end of that. The other rule of thumb I have heard is that babies need about 2-3/4 ounces per pound per day--- so by that guesstimate a 6 lb baby would need somewhere around 17 oz per day and a 9 lb baby would need more like 25 ounces.... as you can see that lines up exactly with the range suggested in the first rule of thumb, but allows you to guess more exactly IF you know the baby's weight...Hope that helps....

Mary in Idaho, mom to 7, including 2 from Korea, and Emily Zion (1�) coming home from Ethiopia in February!
owlhaven #2136 08/25/03 01:31 PM
D
Dale Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Mary,

Thanks for the help!!

Dale

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.