Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Dale Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi Ladies:

After 4 weeks of pumping I am up to 9oz per day. I am pumping 7-9x/day and taking dom, herbs, & oatmeal.

With probably less than a week to delivery, I ordered and received my Lact-Aid. My question is, when should I start to supplement? Should I start right away, knowing I am not making the 17-25oz a newborn will need, or should I nurse for a couple of days first and see where my supply is then?

As always, ladies, thank you for your invaluble help!!!

Dale
IM to Alex via GS
due 9/6

Idaho
experienced member
experienced member
Idaho
Dale,
When my supply was in the 10-12 oz range, I was thinking the same questions as you are and kind of figured that what I would probably do is use the lactaid to 'fill out' my supply-- ie, if my baby needed 17 oz per day for her weight and I was making 12 oz, then I would offer 4-5 oz a day in the lactaid, probably mostly in the evening when my supply was lowest-- and then just watch my baby to see how she did.

I'm an RN and I counseled my new moms to count two things in the first week or so-- diapers and feedings
1.) Diapers--babies should have at least 5-6 wet diapers a day and at least a couple messy ones. They may have less than that in the first couple days of life, but by the third day they should have pooped enough to have gotten rid of the black meconium poop, and the poops should be looking more of a gold color.
2.) Feedings--at least 10 feedings in 24 hours is the goal for babies under 1 month or so. Sometimes new moms will think they have a really great baby because he is sleeping a LOT, but they don't realize that in the first few days some babies are TOO sleepy and may actually need to be wakened to feed.

I could see that it would be a good idea not to use the supplementer TOO much, because you want the baby to be eager at the breast and stimulate you to make more milk. But it would be horrid to not feed the baby enough and get seriously dehydrated and/or jaundiced. I think that weighing the baby at least once or twice a week in the first few weeks would be a really good idea while getting nursing established.

Hope that helps a little....good luck!!

Mary in Idaho, mom to 7, including 2 from Korea, and Emily Zion (1�) coming home from Ethiopia in February!
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for all the help, Mary!

I was thinking along the same lines. I get 1.5 to 2 oz per session in the mornings, but in the late afternoons, I am only getting .75 to 1 oz. I thought I would offer the breast only on the 1st day, since they don't really need to eat much right away, and get the LC at the hospital to help me with the Lact-Aid before we leave. Then I thought I would offer the supplements more in the afternoons, and check my supply again by pumping about once a week.

Getting him weighed is a great idea. I bet I can just call my ped and ask the nurse if I can come over and get him weighed there.

Thanks again for all of your help! I am sure I will be able to figure out how to make sure he gets enough, but I am just a little nervous. I am really excited about being able to nurse and you have really given me confidence that I can do it! Thanks a million!!

Dale in Atlanta
IM to Alex via GS
due 9/6 but could come any day now!!!

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.