Next Thread
Print Thread
#231 10/27/02 01:22 PM
T
Tandra Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi Nona,

As mentioned in my last post, I am in the process of trying to relactate. My LC says that the pump I'm currently using (Ameda Egnell Elite) is fine for use in trying to rebuild my milk supply. After a week of pumping, I am noticing a very little change in my production. Lenore indicated that many women trying to relactate have difficulties using this pump. Can you tell me the difference between the Ameda Egnell, the PIS and the Whittlestone? Also, if I decide to get the PIS, is this a pump that is approved for "rental" or does it need to be purchased? What is the cost?

Also, I have an Ameda manual pump to use when it's not convenient for me to plug in for an electric pumping. This Ameda pump doesn't seem to work at all. I'm assuming that there are better pumps out there as my friend manually pumped for several months when she went back to work. Can you recommend a manual one?

Finally, can you tell me the difference between the SNS and Lact-Aid? Is one preferred over the other for relactating?

Thanks so much for your help!!

extra helpful experienced member
Hello!
Okay I previously owned the Ameda Elite. The difference in it and the PIS is that the Ameda cannot give you the speed of the PIS. The fastest speed on the Ameda is about the slowest on the PIS. And when you start pumping you want the fastness to start your letdown. Just like a baby at the breast starting out a feeding. The PIS can be purchased on ebay right now.. brand new sealed for about 188.00. It is a really good pump. After I recieved mine I sold my Ameda Elite. I lost 400.00 on it. But couldn't bring myself to use it again. Now the whittlestone. Its more of an expresser. It has suction but at the same time it compresses your areola as a baby does when nursing. So it does a milder suction with compressions. I really like my expresser. It might work well for you. The only thing with them is they are NOISY. I mean they start thumping and making a ratcheting sound. It sounds like pump is coming apart but its not. It does not affect the way the pump works at all. The whittlestone can be rented. But its like 179.00 up front for rental, deposit and the collection bottles and horns. But if you decide not to keep the whittlestone you can get your 75.00 deposit back. I recommend both very highly. Only the noise with the whittlestone can be annoying. They both work very differently from one another. Okay as far as manual pumps. I have the ISIS and the MEDELA mini Electric. The isis is a good manual pump... it has the petal massager that compresses the areola. But you have to make sure if you use it to keep your hands on the bottle itself to pump or you will pop the top off the Isis. Now the Medela Mini electic is great. It works like a PIS in a way. It runs off of batteries or you can use an elecric outlet. It has one speed but adjustable vaccum. I really like it. You just attach to your breast and let it do the work. No exhausting hand pumping ughhh! People sell these on ebay to.. The cost from medela is about 90.00 but you can pick them up on ebay for as little as 45.00 brand new. Okay now the SNS verses the Lact-aid. The SNS is easier to deal with considering it has the bottle. You just wash it and fill. But the down sides to the SNS are. The bottle is bulky and has to hang around your neck . It is gravity fed. An you cannot hide it well at all. The tubes are a lot thicker and firmer than the Lact-aids. And i found when the baby sucked on the tube at the breast it became more slimy feeling and hard for me to handle. Many many times the baby would suck and the tube was slipping down further in her mouth. When I unlatched her ... the tube was about an inch past my nipple. That was not good at all. Inching down her throat! Now the lact-aid does take a lot more work to use. It uses bags that are expensive. And you have to assemble the unit. But to me it was worth it. Because the Lact-aid works by the babies sucking which stimulates your breast. And you can use a pouch which is what I did and attached it to my bra. The bag lays pretty flat and hides beautifully under my clothes. Also it only has one tube but it is so pliable and breast friendly. Its a lot softer and not as rough on the babies mouth. And the best plus is. It stayed where I put it. It did NOT slide down my babies throat. Do you mind me asking... how much are you pumping right now? Have you thought about taking Domperidone to increase your milk as well?

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
T
Tandra Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks so much for all that great information. After reading the info. that you supplied, I feel that I need to switch over to one of the other pumps. I'm currently pumping every 3 hours (sometimes every 2 when time permits). I've been doing this for the past 7 days. I do sleep through the night (about 6 hours). I'm currently taking fenugreek and blessed thistle. I just ordered the domperidone, but it won't be here until later this week. I will start this as soon as it gets here. I'm currently only getting about 1 oz. per day of pumping. Most of that ounce comes in my first pumping of the day and almost all of it comes from my left breast. I hardly get anything out of my right breast (it's been that way since the start). Does something seem wrong with this???

A couple of more questions re: the pumps.......my lc (board certified) said that although she's read good things about the Whittlestone, she's heard quite a few "disappointing" reviews as well. Do you feel the PIS would do as good of a job as the Whittlestone? Is the PIS a "hospital grade" pump (like the Ameda Egnell that I'm currently using is supposed to be)?? I'm assuming from your reply that I can't "rent" the PIS, it has to be purchased, right??? Since I will be traveling quite a distance next month, I was wondering if a car lighter adapter was available for the PIS so that I could pump while traveling.

Again, thanks so much for your reply to all of my questions. I really appreciate all your help. I'll wait to hear back from you on the additional questions mentioned above.

Have a nice day!!

yes the PIS is considered hospital grade now. And an adapter can be bought to use in the car. The reviews on the whittlestone are mostly from the 2001 models. But I would me more comfortable telling you to get the PIS. If you will be traveling. The PIS horns are much easier to clean and the whittlestone does NOT have a car adapter.
Concerning your milk production... it is not uncommon at all for one breast to produce more than the other. Another question how much Fenugreek and Blessed thistle are you taking a day? Its recommended to take 3 of each 4 times a day. And lots of water. Don't forget a bowel of oatmeal atleast 3 times a week.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
T
Tandra Offline OP
OP Offline
T
i'm taking 2 capsules each of fenugreek & blessed thistle 3 times a day. starting immediately, i will increase each of them to 3 capsules 4x a day. i'm already drinking lots of water and i just found out about the oatmeal, so i've been eating a bowl a day for the past 3 days.

i looked at the medela site to see what the PIS looked like and read that they recommend renting the lactina or classic for moms trying to increase milk supply. would this be a more economical way for me to go or would the PIS still be the best bet for me?

two more questions....i had read somewhere that underwire bras negatively affect your milk supply. hopefully, this isn't true, as i just purchased several underwire nursing bras. do you know anything about this? also, my lc suggested that i use syntocinon (an oxytocin spray) to help induce let down. i just don't seem to get a let down when i'm pumping -- i think you mentioned that this is a problem with the slow speed of the ameda egnell pump. should i get a let down with the medela PIS? do you have any experience or knowledge about the oxytocin nasal sprays??

again, thanks so much for your quick replies!! i really appreciate it!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Medela recommends their rental-grade pumps for inducing and/or increasing supply because they're the heavy-duty long-lasting expensive hospital pumps. They are very durable, but for the price, considering the rental and hygienikits, etc., you usually end up ahead with the PIS, it's yours to keep, is portable, and it does the job very very well. The Lactina Select (rental) and Pump In Style (purchased for under $200) do the inducing job equally well in the experience of most of us.

As far as underwires, I have no experience, but some Mothers prefer them, and some get plugged ducts everytime they wear them. It depends on you.

The oxytocin nasal spray isn't available in the US anymore. It can be compounded in a pharmacy, or bought from overseas. It works for some women, but is very expensive and for most women isn't necessary. We prescribe it more when someone has alot of milk, but can't get any of it to come out, either into her baby or a pump. Some women find it's more of a conditioning thing, where after a while, just putting on the same CD every time (for me) did the job as well as the oxytocin. But sometimes it's just what we need. I'd wait and see before trying it.

Kerri
Adoptive Mama to Cole (3) and Adam (16 months)
IBCLC in training
British Columbia, Canada

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.