photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Tandra Offline OP
OP Offline
T
While at my pediatrician's office this morning, I discussed my attempt to relactate and told her the things that I was/would be taking to stimulate my milk supply (i.e., fenugreek, blessed thistle and domperidone). She mentioned that years ago when she was nursing, she took brewer's yeast and it really helped increase her supply. Does anyone have any knowledge on this?

Thanks!

experienced member
experienced member
Hi Tandra,

Brewers Yeast is a known galactogogue (milk maker) as are the other things you mentioned. The thing about domperidone is that we know how it reacts with fenugreek and blessed thistle but we don't know a while lot about how it reacts with other herbs. And it's probably not necessary. The domperidone is wonderful. It will almost immediately double whatever milk supply you have right now and then that will build and build.

The most important thing for you to do besides the medications is to drain those breasts. The more frequently and efficiently you empty them, the more milk they will make for you.

I noticed on one of your other posts that you're currently using an Ameida Egnell Pump. I'm really sorry to have to tell you this but that pump is really awful. The faster you can get your hands on either a PIS or a Whittlestone, the better off you'll be. You will not believe the difference a pump can make.

Other things you can do is to drink plenty of water and eat oatmeal at least 3 times per week.

Esther

T
Tandra Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi Esther,

Thanks for answering my post. Okay, I'll just stick with my domperidone (which I just received in the mail yesterday and took my first dose last night). By the way, I've read different dosing information regarding this. One place said to take 1 10mg pill 4 times a day to start (for a couple of weeks) and then increase to 2 10mg pills 4x dialy. Another said to start right away with 2 10mg pills 4x daily. Which is correct??

Also, I have been told my several of you that the pump I am using stinks at relactating. So, I ordered the PIS a couple of days ago. It'll be here sometime on Monday. I'm actually glad the pump I've been using is not a good one -- this gives me hope that my pitiful milk supply (of 1/2 oz. a day -- with every 3 hour pumping sessions on both breasts) will greatly increase with this much better pump and the domperidone.

Again, thanks so much for the info!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tandra,
If anyone has any blood sugar problems (bs too high), then I would caution against taking alot of yeast. Yeast overgrowth could be a problem in diabetics etc...otherwise, I don't know alot about it other than it contains alot of B vitamins. Maybe taking a B vitamin supplement could help also. Let us know how it works for you! Thanks, Cathy

experienced member
experienced member
Hi Tandra,

For bio moms Dr. Newman recommends a beginning dose of domperidone 10 mg 4 itmes per day for about a week and then if you're feelling ok, not too tired and tummy not too upset, to increase to 20 mg 4 times per day. You can find the information on domperidone here: http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/induced_lactation/domperidone_dosage.html

And, you're gonna love your PIS....

Esther

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.