photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Tandra Offline OP
OP Offline
T
In reviewing the protocol for induced lactation, I noticed that it says to pump on "low to medium settings." Is this the suction setting or the cycling? After I delivered, the nurses at the hospital told me to pump on the "highest" setting my breasts could stand. I have continue to pump on this setting (strongest suction and fastest cycling) since trying to relactate and I just cringe at the thought of my next pumping session (as it really hurts for those first couple of minutes due to sore nipples).

Also, I have no idea how to hand express. Where would I get information on this??

Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Hi Tandra,

Pumping should not hurt. When you set your pump the speed should be at 40 to 60 cycles per minute. You can check this by watching your nipple move forward and back. It should not be faster than 10 times in 10 sec. The suction should be strong enough to move the nipple forward and back but not so strong as to hurt you. On the Pump in Style this would be the medium setting. Very few ladies use the strongest setting.

As for hand expression. The Marmet Technique is the gold standard. You can find it here: http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

Hope this helps. Fondly

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.