photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Tandra Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I am about 10 weeks post partum. I got my period back about 3 weeks ago (right after I stopped nursing). In any event, I have been on the fenugreek & blessed thistle for about a month and on the domperidone for about 9 days. For the past couple of days, I have had light bleeding (like a really light period). Could this be a result of the domp and/or herbs or maybe a result of me pumping/trying to nurse again???? It seems too light to be the start of my next period and it started about 1 1/2 weeks earlier than when my period should start again?? Any ideas??

Also, does anyone else notice a LOT of gas when on the domp and herbs? This is becoming a very big problem for me and now I notice that my baby is very gassy (and I'm assuming it's from the breastmilk that I've been feeding her). Not only is this problem annoying, but it's very embarrassing as well. Is there anything that I could do to combat this?

Thanks again for all of your wonderful help!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tandra,
I also get increased flatulence as well as stomach cramps and diarrhea from the domerpidone. When I was on fenugreek I noticed more gas also.
Take care,
Cathy

extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
Fenugreek is your culprit on gas and upset stomach. Domperidone makes the stomach DUMP faster so its not the problem with upset. Fenugreek is notorious for this though

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are right, domperidone increases gastric motility. I get terrible stomach cramps on it, as well as diarrhea. I have heard others get gas while on Fenugreek. Also to the lady who asked about fatigue on domperidone, I was on the regular protocol for 4 months last year, and was fatigued the entire time...also, I am on it again now, close to one month, and am again very tired. I also think it is a combination of meds and working 12 hour night shifts, from 8pm to 8am. There are many mornings I have to pull off the road and try to sleep in my car. ( I have an hour commute each way). I am hanging in there on the protocol, despite this, because I want to develop as large a milk supply as possible, and, my endometriosis pain is totally gone,,,and last time I was on the protocol, my ovarian cyst disappeared. I thought Blessed Thistle helped to decrease the gas with Fenugreek, but I could be wrong...
take care,
Cathy

A
A
[color:"black"] [/color] Cathy,
I also had severe endometriosis--and had a complete hyst.4 yrs ago.(I was only 26)i can't tell you how liberating it is to be free from that pain!My gyn.told my husband that when they went in to do my surgery,it looked like someone had taken a pepper shaker and dumped it on my insides.We have no bio.children together,I have 3 from previous marraige(12,10and9)We have adopted Samuel,our beautiful joy whom I'm relactating for.I've been on menopause protocol for 12 days.The transition of going off my hrt to start the protocol was TOUGH--I had constant hot flashes!After about 3-4 days into protocol they ceased,thanks to bcp!!
Anyway,I wanted to encourage you,I've lived through female trouble and it stinks.By chance are you also one who asked about dry nipples on protocol?Take Care,

Angie

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Angie,
I am sorry for your endo and your hysterectomy. I am glad you were blessed with 3 bio kids before the need for surgery. My pain comes and goes, worse right before my period. I never had endo before I did IVF tx's. I also have pain from scar tissue from 4 abd surgeries. The bcp is helping me tremendously with the pain, I am guessing becuase no periods. While I was on domperidone and pumping alone for 5 weeks, my pain actually got much worse. I am almost afraid to go off the bcp now! I am the one who asked about the dry nipples. When I pumped I used olive oil and Lansinoh frequently. I also had an ovarian cyst, again caused by IVF. The last time I was on the protocol, my cyst pain disappeared and never came back. I get yearly sonograms to check my ovaries, cuz of so many rounds of IVF. The good thing about the bcp is it lowers the risk of ovarian ca, as does breast feeding. Congratulations on Samuel, I love that name. My son's name is Sean, he is from Peru. We will know early next week if we have a match with a Mexican birthmom in Utah. She is due Dec 27th. Keep your fingers crossed! Thanks.
Take care
Cathy

A
A
[color:"black"] [/color] cathy,
Please keep us posted on your possible match.The reason I asked if you had posted about dry nipples is because I have been noticing the same thing.Normally,I probably would've credited it to dry heat,winter weather,etc--but it's been unseasonably warm here in the midwest(50's,60's)and I am religious about applying baby oil immediatly after bathing to my whole body,so I'm not dry anywhere else!Maybe we're crazy--sometimes I wonder if any breast changes or anything I'm noticing is just in my mind!!(I really don't think so though--and if tiredness and dry nipples are the only indicators of change right now-I'll take them!)Take Care

Angie

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Angie,
I agree. I feel my nipple dryness coincided with the start of the protocol. I have not gained any cup size yet, but Lenore says not to worry on the Diane if you have no breast changes.
I will let you know about our possible match next week. We do tend to appeal to Hispanic birthmoms since our son is Peruvian and we are very into the Latino culture...although, some birthmoms prefer couples with no kids already, so we'll see! Let us know how you are doing on the protocol. I really admire you.
Take care,,
Cathy

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.