Print Thread
#3063 02/25/04 05:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am in the process of having my 4th miscarriage and don't know what to do. My ob/gyn hasn't offered any expanation. Although my husband and I have 4 children, we want another very badly. I had 2 miscarriages in 1996, both at 6 weeks. These accurred after our first child was born. I then was put on progesterone and had 2 successful pregnancies. I got pregnant again in 2000, went on progesterone, and miscarried at 11 weeks. I then had our youngest in January 2002, and took baby aspirin and progesterone. We were thrilled to find out in early February that we were expecting again, and I started progesterone, and baby aspirin. My HCG was tested right away and was 31, and 48 hrs later it was measured at 57. Well, 2 days ago I had a sonogram and the baby only measured 5w3d instead of 7 weeks. My HCG is only at 2300, and it should be up around 12,000. I am so frustrated and sad. It looks like this will be a miscarriage. I don't know what to do or what I should be tested for. This is my fourth miscarriage out of eight pregnancies. Any advice??

#3064 02/26/04 01:21 PM
Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Dear KJ,

Please first let me say how very sorry I am for your losses. As a mother who lost 8 pregnancies to recurrent miscarriage I understand how devastated you must feel.

The good news is that you have carried to term 4 times. Early miscarriage can happen for a variety of reasons. You didn't mention whether or not the heartbeats were visible on ultrasound prior to loss. If a heartbeat is present, the pregnancy usually continues. If a heartbeat is not present, then there could be a genetic component, an immune issue, or a blood coagulation problem.

Progesterone and baby aspirin are definitely a good help in cases like this. Have you ever been tested for anti-cardiolipin antibody? Antiphospholipid antibodies? This would be the next step. It's quite possible that you would benefit from the additon of low molecular weight heparin to your regimen.

Please have a look at this article on our website. http://www.asklenore.info/miscarriage/bick/bickintro.html
It's very comprehensive.

After you've had a chance to look it over, please let me know if you have further questions.

My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
#3065 02/27/04 05:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
KJ,
Sorry about your losses. I too found out today I am having a fourth miscarriage (missed abortion). We had a doctor appointment for a nine week ultrasound and even though the babies measurements were good, there was no heartbeat. I am extremely devastated as my husband and I have no children yet and all of my test results have been normal.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.