Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Angie Offline OP
OP Offline
A
hello everyone,
I am now on day 16 of the menopause protocol(hysterectomy 4 yrs ago),and feel I am doing well.This past 4 days,my breasts have become very sore(ouch!)and noticeably larger,probably I could stand to go up a cup size already but I'm going to wait as long as I can.My fatigue is still there,but I'm just learning to deal w/it.The hot flashes,etc that were so prevalent after going off my hrt have subsided(yea!!)so I'm feeling pretty good!It's such an encouragement when you're body starts telling you,and showing you,that your efforts are paying off.
My concern at this point is when I will be able to put Samuel to the breast again.If you all remember,I'm a "late"relactater!He is 13 months old,when I started this process,he was 11 months,I was just doing herbs,pumping--and letting him suck when he wanted.He was intere [color:"black"] [/color] sted,surprisingly,as we had only bottle fed since we brought him home at 3 months.I know I can't put him to the breast now,during this process--and although a good milk supply will be great--I'm not having to rely on that so much as nutrition for him since he's older.He doesn't have any teeth yet(good for me-right?!)but he eats well.My main intent was for the other benefits of breastfeeding between Samuel and myself.What if I go through this and then he doesn't want me at all?I had talked to a few LC's early in this,and none that I talked to were very familiar at all with adoptive nursing,let alone adoptive nursing an older baby!We practice attachment parenting with Sam,and he is very eager t please,so I feel that will work in our favor.
Please any insight would be appreciated!I know I still have a ways to go--but I want to be as prepared as possible along the way!!

Thanks and take care
Angie

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Angie,
You might want to check out the ABRW bulletin board. There are a number of women there who have gotten older children to breastfeed. Good on you for having a go.
Dale

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dear Angie,
I know that technically you're not supposed to be nursing while on the protocol, but I think it's important to look at the whole picture. When I started the regular protocol last spring in preparation for our next baby, I was still nursing my 2 y/o dd. I knew I might be reducing the effectiveness of the protocol but I was not going to wean my dd just for that purpose. I am pumping now and getting 18-19 ounces per day, so I don't think that nursing hurt my production too much! You will probably be able to get your son back to the breast after the protocol, but you are missing precious time that you could be nursing him. I would go with your instinct on this one and not worry too much about following the protocol perfectly. Just my two cents.
Best wishes to you however you choose to go about this,
Cindy

A
Angie Offline OP
OP Offline
A
[color:"black"] [/color] Cindy,
Thanks for your help...I would love nothing more than to have Samuel nursing even while building a milk supply for him.The large differance between your situation and mine is that you were already breastfeeding,correct?I did not--when I decided to induce lactation and give this a go,I only put Sam to my breast a few times,more as a" let's see what happens here" thing.I was also doing a lot of skin to skin to get him ready.Do you think continuing to bfeed your daughter while doing the protocol didn't compromise your "success"because you already had established a nursing relationship?If I knew for absolute (maybe there aren't any absolutes!!)that I wouldn't totally blow what I'm working towards by restarting Sam at the breast,I would do it in a minute.Thanks again,and any bit of advice is welcomed...

Angie

Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Hi Angie,

If you want to try Samuel at the breast, you can go ahead. We usually recommend that ladies without babies who want to do the protocols refrain from pumping to give their breasts a change to develop the milk making apparatus. This is because the double electric breastpump releases oxytocin causing milk ejection when there's no milk yet.

However, a breastfeeding baby is only on one breast at a time which does not cause the same amount of oxytocin to be released which means you can still do the protocol with your baby at the breast.

We suggest that if you do decide to breastfeed while doing the protocol, that you use a lact-aid or supplementary feeding tube device so that there is a reward for your baby at the breast. Babies go where the milk is. If there's nothing there, he'll get frustrated.

The way to proceed is lots of skin to skin as you mentioned. The bath is the perfect place. Don't make a big issue of it, if he shows an interst while bathing, fine. You want him to get used to seeing "those things on mommy's chest". We usually suggest threading the supplementary feeding tube through the nipple that baby is used to and place it over your own. Then gradually replace this with the Medela Newborn Small nipple shield (not shell) with tubing, and then gradually offer your breast with tubing until your own milk is in.

We highly recommend that you contact a board certified lactation consultant to assist you. It will take time but it can be done.

Hope this helps. Fondly

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
experienced member
experienced member
Hey Angie!!!

Lots of moms have been able to get older babies to the breast. As Lenore said, the best person to help would be an IBCLC near you. You can find one at www.iblce.org Just click on either the US registry or International registry to find one near you.

Esther

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.