Print Thread
#3240 03/29/04 10:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am 26 and I have had 2 healthy pregnancies. My oldest is 4 (7lbs. 4oz. at birth born 2000) and my youngest is 2 (9lbs. 9oz. at birth born 2002). I became pregnant 2002 with my third when my youngest was 3 months old. I went in for a regular checkup at 16 weeks and we found that our son had died. The baby measured to have died around 16 weeks. I had a d&c a few days later. *At my pap after delivery of this baby my new midwife checked me for Mycoplasma. It came up positive. I was treated and re-checked and everything came back neg.

I became pregnant 2003 with our fourth child and I went in for my routine check-up at 20 weeks and found he had died around 19 weeks. I was induced and had him about 2 weeks ago. He was 8 1/2 oz., 8 1/2 inches at birth. I had been re-checked a second time for Mycoplasma and everything was neg. The only thing that may have played a part in his death is the umbibical cord. It started off the size of your pinky finger near the baby, and the closer to the placenta it narrowed to the point it was the size of a piece of yarn.

I know that the lupus and some type of blood clotting disorder tests came back neg. I am waiting for the other results. I am not sure what other tests were run. I do know they are checking the baby. He was beautiful and so perfect. I do have mild hypertension in my pregnancies. Usually my pressures are around 130/80's. Do you have any opinions? Should I see a high risk doctor or a OB endocrinologist? Have you ever heard of something like this happening? Thanks for your time!!!! ~Michelle

#3241 03/31/04 05:42 AM
Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Dear Michelle,

How awful for you!!! As a mother who lost 8 pregnancies to recurrent miscarriage and my daughter at 16 weeks, I truly understand how devastated you must feel.

It sounds by your description that you pretty much already have the answers for your most recent loss. Mycoplasma was most probably the cause the first time...I lost my daughter as a result of Mycoplasma...in fact I had been tested for it and the doctor's office neglected to inform me which is why I lost her.

The description of the umbilical chord provides the clue to your second loss. It's very possible that you are describing umbilical cord torsion which is an unpreventable cause of fetal demise. There are several articles on this subject. If you are interested you can access them from this website http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query...om_uid=14562642

From what you describe, you have had two in-utero fetal accidental deaths. There is no reason to believe that either event would occur again. Please discuss this with your MD and yes, I would definitely recommend that you be seen by a perinatalogist for your next pregnancy. This is a high risk OB. They tend to monitor you much more closely.

I'm truly sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Sincerely,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.