photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#3718 05/17/04 01:01 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I've been diligently pumping and taking the herbs for the past week, but have some questions....
1. Is it normal for one breast to consistently produce more than the other? Will they even out over time?
2. Is it normal for breasts to "ache" a little between pumping? My nipples are sensitive, but not hurting. I keep the pump on low-medium, usually the speed pretty slow, too.
3. Does the duration matter as much as the frequency of pumping? I.e., is 30+ minutes better than 20 minutes? I'm pretty consistent with every 2-3 hours with at least one overnight session (set my alarm for 2am). So I get in 8-10 pumping sessions a day. Just wondering if I should keep pumping after 20 minutes (I usually don't have any droplets left after 20 mintues).
4. Is anyone incredibly thirsty while pumping? It seems that I can't get enough to drink. Maybe it's the herbs. Or the heat of summer. I'm definitely keeping hydrated.
5. Does anyone supplement with any other herbs (e.g., alfalfa, red raspberry, brewer's yeast?). I know to stay away from the goat's rue due to it's potential messing with blood sugar levels, but what about the some of the other herbs?

All of you who have been pumping for a while...you are my heros! This is harder than one would think! It takes a ton of commitment.... how do you get enough sleep and still function?

Thanks for any answers, inspiration, stories...

Best,
Kate

mom2b7904 #3719 05/17/04 11:25 PM
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Good questions. I'm going to learn from your questions. Hang in there. I'm hoping to follow you when I start pumping the end of July.
Take care,

LD
San Jose, CA
San Jose, CA
Kate, I can try to address some of your questions....

The frequency of pumping is what really helps increase milk supply, but you have to balance it with duration too -- each body is different, and you can watch your own response to the pumping -- whether you continue to have output after 10-15 minutes, and/or whether you get another letdown at 10-20 minutes, etc. It's an art to watch your own body and decide what you should do -- no magic formula!

Yes, pumping makes you thirsty -- you're depleting your body of fluids -- and so does domperidone (are you taking this? I was unsure from your note). I'm not sure about other herbs, tho, and unfortunately I'm at work and can't look that up now, but perhaps in the future (we're leaving town tomorrow).

The achiness in between -- is that when your breasts are ready for the next pumping? Even tho I'm not getting a lot out each time, I can tell when I'm approaching "time to pump" without looking at a clock. You can also get shooting-type pain with a yeast infection or blood vessel spasm, especially when subjected to the cold, but I don't think that is what you are describing.

Good luck to you!

-Karen
BF'd bio son for 3 years, hope to be BF'ing adopted daughter sometime in the next few weeks!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let me clarify...

Yes, I am taking the domperidone. It didn't make me thirsty while also taking the Yasmin (but hey, the Yasmin messed with my system so much maybe I just couldn't notice...so happy to be off the Yasmin).

I don't know what "let down" feels like...because I'm just producing droplets, I don't know if I've experienced it yet or not.

So, what does "let down" feel like? Or, will I just know it when it finally happens?

Thanks so much for everyone's input...it's really helpful!

Kate

#3722 05/18/04 07:49 PM
extra helpful experienced member
most adoptive nursing moms don't feel a let down. If they do its normally a tingling in the breasts. I do not feel let down but know when I am having one. As I will either start spraying again or the drops will start coming really fast

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Idaho
Idaho
I supplemented with alfalfa. It certainly doesn't hurt and is good for you. My thought was cows eat it to produce milk so why not give it a go. As for the other two I don't know. I think a couple ladies here were talking about brewers yeast being good for milk production.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
#3724 05/18/04 11:50 PM
San Jose, CA
San Jose, CA
Once again, more proof that everyone is different. Even when BF'ing my bio son, I never felt let down, but as Nona commented, you can see more drops/sprays coming out after a "quiet" period. If you're breastfeeding, you can hear the baby swallow rather than just sucking on the breast. I had INCREDIBLE thirst when I first started the Yasmin (it has a diuretic component too) & domperidone, and it has persisted now that I'm pumping! I carry water with me everywhere.

-Karen

Idaho
Idaho
Oh yeah I meant to say that I have had different experiences with feeling let down or not with each of my babies. So it can change with each child you nurse. But babyhannah is right if you are nursing you can definitely hear the baby swallow when the milk starts coming down. Sometimes they even get choked on it a little.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.