#5810 06/03/05 02:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi all,

I had my bio son 10 yrs ago, and then went through early menopause (32). We are now pursueing adoption and I'm starting the menopause protocol. I was wondering; will I see the kinds of visible changes in my breasts that occured during my pregnancy? Such as darkening of my areola & nipples, the blue veins, colostrum leaking, sensitive nipples? If so, when does that start?
Thanks,
Laura

#5811 06/09/05 02:54 AM
Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Hi Laura,

Everyone is different. You can expect most of the changes. Mothers who induce lactation do not produce colostrom because to do that we need human placental lactogen which is only present during pregnancy. However, we do produce pre-milk which is rich in antibodies and other goodies.

You can expect to see changes within the first 2 weeks. What birth control pill are you using and what dosage of domperidone?

Warmest regards,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
Lenore #5812 06/10/05 05:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the info.

I'm using Yasmin, but haven't received my dom yet. I've been on the Yasmin about 3 1/2 weeks. So far it seems I'm about half a cup larger. My bras have been pretty loose, but the cups are full now. It also seems I can feel the glands more and my nipples are hard more often, but I haven't really felt tight or sore. I haven't seen any of those changes I mentioned above like I did when preg.

The protocols suggest adding additional progesterone at some point. Should I do that before I receive my dom?

Does the pre-milk look like colostrum, or is it bluish white like breastmilk; and when should I see that?

Thanks SO much for this website and the encouragement
Laura

#5813 06/27/05 03:58 PM
Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Laura,

You are most welcome. You'll need to add the domperidone for the rest of the breast changes to take place. Early milk can be thick and yellow or clear and runny. That takes about a week and then the mature, whiter milk arrives. Note that human milk is thinner than cows milk and separates because it's not homogenized in a factory. That's ok, it will reconsitute once it's moved around a bit like swirling or hanging from the lactaid.

So bottome line is don't add the progesterone, wait for the dom to take effect first. It takes about 3 weeks for the dom to maximize in your system.

Warmest regards,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.