photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
karyn Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi, I'm also a newbie. I am 30 years old and Factor V Leiden positive. My hematologist also said that I have lupus anticoagulant and protein C deficiency. I had my first miscarriage in December 03, and my OBGYN just told me that I've lost my second at 7 1/2 weeks.

My last period was on 4/19, and I normally go about 30 days between cycles. The trans-vag ultrasounds only show a small sac, even though my blood levels are over 9000.

I've had conflicting info from two ultrasound techs. The one that saw me on Monday told me "you've lost it" after looking at me for only three minutes and w/o knowing my blood levels. The second tech I saw today said "I've seen stranger things that have led to normal pregancy."

My OBGYN suggests Mistoprostal (?spelling) to induce the miscarriage. She said that the ultrasound isn't normal for how far along I should be. I told her I wanted to wait a week for another ultrasound just to be sure that there is no baby there.

Am I deluding myself at this point? My husband wants me to start the Mistoprostal just to get things over with (he hates to see me going through this again). I haven't had any bleeding or spotting. The first miscarriage took care of itself rather quickly.

Also, I was on Lovenox therapy shortly after conception. Prior to that, I took Warfarin (the baby was a surprise...). Could the Warfarin have caused the baby not to develop right?

Finally, should I have additional blood tests done prior to trying again? I just want some answers...I would love to have a baby, but I don't want to go through this a third time. What are my odds of ever carrying a child to term???

Thanks for your help!
Karyn

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Karyn I woldn't think there is any harm in waiting just to be sure. I personally have a friend who was told after an ultrasound that she was losing the baby. She did start spotting and on her next visit, I think within a week, the ultrasound showed normal and she has a healthy son. They can't explain what happened. (((HuGS)))

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Karen,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. As a mother who lost 8 pregnancies to recurrent miscarriage before my sons were born, I understand how devastated you must feel.

I am not a doctor but I can see from your post that blood clotting may have been a factor in this loss. Here is an article by Dr. Roger Bick that advocates the use of low dose heparin together with baby aspirin to help pregnancies to continue. http://www.asklenore.info/miscarriage/print/bickp.html

You also may want to contact Dr. Beer who is an expert in treating recurrent miscarriage www.repro-med.net

As for what to do, I can't say. But waiting and seeing if your HCG levels do not climb is a sure indication that a pregnancy has arrested. So maybe another blood test is in order? If a pregnancy is continuing the HCG should approximately double every 2 days.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Warmest regards,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.