Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is 5 wks old. Is it to late to try breastfeeding now? He was a preemie and has a problem with his mouth that doesn't allow a great sucion. My colostrum barely came in at the hospital and so they had me start pumping and we used lactation aids to increase his feeding at the nipple. At two weeks, they made us go to bottles because he had lost too much weight. My milk never really came in. I'm taking Fenugreek and nothing happened and I just purchased the Domperidone from New Zealand. I'm so discouraged that I only pump once or twice a day. Of course he really prefers the bottle to the nipple but I still try a couple times a day. Is it to late to get the milk supply back. I pump about 5 ML (total), per day. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Hi Joelle,

Congratulations on your new little boy!!! It's never too late to bring in your milk supply. If you want to, you can. You will need to devote yourself to pumping and working at building your milk supply. You can turn this situation around rapidly if you dedicate yourself to your mission.

Providing breastmilk to your premature infant is particularly important because of his immature immune system. Every drop of milk you provide is like liquid gold for this child. Think of your milk as "gut paint" to provide protection for your infant from pathogens. There is a component in breastmilk, Secretory Iimmunoglobulin A (Sec IgA) that provides major immune protection. Some Sec IgA migrates to the lungs and provides protection from respiratory infections. As I said, your breastmilk is powerful stuff. Preemeis who are breastfeed have demonstrated an IQ 8 - 10 points higher.

But you'll need to pump because there is a whey protein that sits in the milk called the "Feedback Inhibitor of Lactation" (FIL). You need to get that thing out of there and the only way to do that is to drain your breasts. The more you drain them, the more milk you will have but it doesn't happen overnight. It takes at least a week to see a change.

The domperidone will provide you with a lot of help. Domperidone takes about 72 hours to affect your milk supply and about 3 weeks to peak in your system.

It's very important that you arrange a home visit with a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC). You can find one here www.iblce.org Just click on the "About IBLCE" button and the US and International registries pop up. The IBCLC is a clinically trained breastfeeding support person who will be able to provide you with all kinds of strategies to get your baby back to the breast.

Supplementation is best done at the breast. Most moms use the Lact-aid www.lact-aid.com This provides supplementation at the same time as providing stimulation to your breasts and helping you to drain them to get rid of the FIL. It's a case of use them or lose them...the more you use your breasts, the more milk you will have.

Which pump are you usuing? You need a good one. Most moms use the Medela Classic or Pump in Style Original or Lactina. There's a new pump available from Limerick called the Pj Junior. I've been testing this pump and I'm very impressed with it. It's available through Joan Ortiz joan.ortiz@limerickinc.com

Start with this and please keep me posted. You can do this. Remember, I induced lactation and breastfed my preemie son without the benefit of pregnancy. You're way ahead of where I was.

Best,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.