Print Thread
#6499 01/01/06 11:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just experienced my 2nd miscarriage within a one year period. I was 19 wks pregnant when it happened. That was also the time that I found out I was having, or would have had, twins. Seeing that ultrasound, and my babies not moving broke my heart badly. Anyways, I had a D&C done, and am recuperating nicely. Except for the fact that my breasts have swelled up and are extremely sensitive and painful. They feel hard to the touch. This all happened suddenly in one day. Am I lactating? I have never had a child before, so I don't know what it feels like. Is this supposed to happen after a miscarriage that was in the 2nd trimester? Is this normal or is it a cause for concern?

#6500 01/01/06 02:30 PM
Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
I am so sorry for your losses.
It does sounds like you maybe lactating. Lactation usually occurs at around 20 week losses. But you are close to that. I would talk to your doctor and have things checked out.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
#6501 01/02/06 04:47 AM
Canada
L
L
Canada
I am so sorry for your losses. As a mother who lost 8 pregnancies before my sons were born, I understand how devastated your must feel.

Yes. A pregnancy that goes beyond 16 weeks can cause your breasts to lactate. It may help you to express a small amount of milk for comfort. Some women place cold cabbage leaves inside their bra to help reduce swelling and inflamation. One mother who lost her baby at 20 weeks, opted to pump and donate her milk which helped to ease her pain.

Alternatively, sage tea or capsules can help to dry up your milk supply as can the use of Sudafed (1 dose per day). As I said above, you may need to pump or hand express not until empty, just until comfortable, until your breasts "involute" and production ceases. It may be helpful to you to contact a board certified lactation consultant to assist you. You can find one here www.iblce.org Just click on the "About IBLCE" button and the US and International registries pop up.

Have you been tested for Antiphospholipid antibodies? There is new evidence to suggest the use of Heparin can suppress the immune system, thus helping mothers to carry to term. Dr. Jan Salmon is conducting research in this area. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query...p;dopt=Citation

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Best,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.