photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
2 or 3 day old?

In order for my to BF baby at the hospital I'd need written permision from the birithmom that not only allows me to breastfeed but it also has to state that she knows I have not been tested for infectious diseases and that I could possibly transmit a disease to the baby. Hospital poilicy.

The SW had to go ask legal since this has never come up before.

I am hesitant to bring up BFing with the birthmom because if she has a neg reaction to it I don't want to think of that every time I nurse. Does that make sense?

Anyway, so, will 2 or 3 day screw us up?

Deb

Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Hi Deb,

What we usually recommend in these cases is that you take the path of least resistance. You should be able to get your baby to the breast once you're away from the hospital. We've latched babies as old as 1 year. It's very important that you arange a visit with a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) to assist you once the baby has been discharged from the hospital. This will minimize stress on you and your baby by getting you off to a good start. You can find an IBCLC here: www.iblce.org Just click on the "About IBLCE" button at the top of the page and the US and International registries pop up.

It's also important for you to do your very best to bring in your breastmilk. Babies go where the milk is.

Best,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
Idaho
Idaho
I didn't latch DD on until she waws 2 days old. Although birthmom knew I was planning to nurse and was cool with it I didn't want to do it there with all the staff and eyes upon me. She latch just fine with the lactaid. I fumbled around a bit at first with the tubing but we got it after a bit. I sure would do as Lenore suggests and contact a IBCLC they will be of great help to you.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.