photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
Hi All,

I'm new here and I am completely discouraged. I have been using the protocol to induce lactation since April. I have used Ortho Novum 1/35 and later switched to Yasmin. I also have been taking Domperidone. I took my last birth control pill on Thursday, June 15th. I started pumping and taking herbs on the evening of Friday, June 16th. The herbs I've been taking are Goat's Rue and More Milk Plus made by Mother Love. I do leak small amounts of breastmilk, so I was expecting a really good result. The first pumping with a hospital grade pump yielded enough milk to almost cover the bottom of one bottle. Since then, I have only been able to pump smaller amounts. I am very worried! Our son is due on July 15th, and the birthmom will ber induced on July 11th. I have been pumping anywhere from every 1.5 hours to every 3 hours, although I have not pumped at night. Please, can anyone give me advice? I really want to breastfeed, because I know that breastmilk is best. However, each pumping disappoints me more and more. I feel like giving up. Help!!!!

Dedicated

Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Hi,

Congratulations on your impending arrival. It takes time to bring in your milk. Right now you seem to be right on track. What pump are you currently using? Are you pumping both breasts at the same time? Can you obtain the fenugreek and blessed thistle we recommend for the protocol? Are you still taking the domperidone? What dosage and where did you get it?

Best,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
D
OP Offline
D
Hi Lenore,

Thank you so much for responding. I am really appreciative that you would take the time. I obtained my Domperiodone through Global Drug. I had no problem getting it without a prescription, although I do have a prescription if I end up needing it. I have been taking 20 mg. 4 times per day. Should I or can I increase the dose?

I actually have two pumps. I started out with the Medela Symphony. The lactation consultant where I rented the pump suggested that I switch to using the Medela Classic, since it is more like a newborn's suckling. She said it was a stronger pump, so for the last 24 hours I've been using the Classic. The More Milk Plus from Mother Love contains Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, Nettle Leaf, and Fennel Seed. Should I stick with this, or switch to single herbs instead of the blend? I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Dedicated

Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi D.

I have this golden rule, if it aint broke, don't fix it. It seems you were happier with the other pump. Are you renting or did you purchase? In the long run, purchasing a pump tends to be more cost effective. And if you are in the market for one I've got a good suggestion.

There is a new pump on the market that has been wonderful for inducing lactation called the Pj Junior by Limerick Inc. I tested this pump myself for several months and I'm really impressed by it.

Contrary to the way other pumps work, the Limerick has flexible breast shields that compress the nipple/areola as suction is applied. THIS works like a baby at the breast. To give you an idea of how well it works, it used to take me about 10-15 minutes to let down to the Pump in Style. With the Limerick it took me 1-2 minutes and I had multiple let downs. It increased my volume considerably when I needed to.

At times, I brought my PIS to conferences because of the battery pack feature and my milk supply decreased. As soon as I got home and started back with the Limerick, my milk supply shot back up again. In this way I was able to continue breastfeeding my son Ethan for 2 1/2 years even though I was enrolled in a doctoral program that required a lot of commuting.

As far as the domperidone is concerned you're on the recommended dosage for inducing lactation.

Have you had any breast surgery? A chest tube at any time in your life?

Best,

Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
D
OP Offline
D
Hi again,

I will definitely try the pump you are recommending. It sounds like just what I need. I've never had any breast surgery; no chest tubes at any time. I have been pumping both breasts together until I don't see any more output. Then I switch to pumping each breast individually with compression. I usually get more milk with the compression. I suppose I should also be more patient,, but that's never been one of my strong points.

Canada
L
L
Canada
You're going to love the Limerick. I forgot to mention in my post above that the Limerick is available through [email][email protected].[/email]

In the meantime, keep pumping with the pump that extracts the most milk.

Best,

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.