Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8198 10/29/06 12:13 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Hello,

I?ve been lurking here in the shadows taking in all I can about induced lactation. We are a family waiting to be matched with a birthmother. Before I found this message board I had talked to a lactation consultant about adoptive nursing. She suggested I begin pumping to produce a milk supply. I asked about medications but it seemed she was not very supportive of this. She said many adoptive mothers had been able to produce a milk supply by pumping alone. So I rented a pump from the clinic where she works and started pumping; somewhat unbelieving. At the same time she gave we the ask Lenore website. So once I read up about what Lenore says, I called the LC back and told her that this was what I wanted to do. She said she was familiar with the protocol. She said she would support and follow me on this. I have already ordered Yasmin and Domperidone. I have an appointment with the LC in 1 week so she can get my medical history, etc. However, she ended our conversation with, ?keep pumping!?

* Is there really any benefit to pumping now? Wouldn't that be detrimental to the whole process?
* Can I really trust her if this is her advise?
* What is the recommendation as to alcohol consumption during the protocol?

I am really excited about this. It gives me a great focus as we wait for our baby to find us!

Thanks,

Tracinda

Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Hi Tracinda,

Welcome to Ask Lenore! Many mothers in your position have tried both ways. It's a difficult thing to pump without a baby in sight. Moms on the protocols do not need to pump way in advance since the meds do the job of building the milk making structures for you. What they typically do is the bcp/domperidone combination until their baby is in sight. The typical pumping start time is about 6 weeks before the baby is due but sometimes you don't have the luxury of that much time.

Regardless, the idea is to start the meds and wait and see about pumping and then report back as soon as you have news and we'll take it from there. And as with any medicated protocol or internet advice, it's important to clear this with your doctor so that you can be monitored and educate at the same time.

By the way, what pump are you currently using?

Best,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
T
OP Offline
T
I am renting the Medela Lactina Select. I believe I will look into purchasing the Lemerick, as it sounds like it may be more economical than a renter.

Canada
L
L
Canada
Yes. Purchasing tends to be more economical in the long run and the good news about the Limerick is that it's rated multiuser so you can sell it later provided the new user purchaes their own breastshields, filter, and tubing.

Best,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.