Print Thread
San Diego, CA
C
CSH Offline OP
OP Offline
C
San Diego, CA
Howdy,
I've been using a Limerick pump since Tuesday night and I have some use questions. The instructions that accompanied the pump cover setup and operation but not practical use tips. So this question is for those of you that have had success with this pump.

For background, I've been pumping for 5 weeks using first a rented Medela Symphony (which I barely let down to) and then a PISA which worked better. I decided to try the Limerick because I have to do compressions and hand expression to empty my breasts using the PISA.

My experience with the Limerick so far hasn't been encouraging. Perhaps I just have a supply problem? My initial letdown, when I first start seeing drops, is faster than with the PISA. I'm getting 1/2 - 3/4 oz per pumping session with the Limerick, the same as or a bit less than the PISA. I still compress and hand express to get that amount.
Q1. Do you use lanolin in the silicon shields? I'm sticking to the shields.
Q2. Is your nipple pulled down into the shield as it is in a PISA?
Q3. Is the largest part of the shield, that's touching your areola, suctioned against your breast, or just your nipple? Which is best?
Q4. What settings do you normally use? I know everyone is different, but I'm looking for suggestions.

Any help is appreciated. The twins are 3-5 weeks from birth. My goal is to provide one or two feedings per day, not establish a full supply. But that means I need each breast to produce about 2-4oz per breast, not 1/2-1oz. I've tried fenugreek/blessed thistle to no effect. I've been faithfully taking Goat's Rue. I eat oatmeal daily. I'm discouraged and frustrated.

Crys

Last edited by CSH; 12/14/06 08:52 PM.

-- Twins Braxton and Malcolm, 12/28/06
Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Crys I have no practical experience with that pump. I am sure someone who does will come on and answer your questions. I am wondering how oftern you are pumping? And for how long each session?

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
San Diego, CA
C
CSH Offline OP
OP Offline
C
San Diego, CA
With the Limerick, I'm pumping every 3-4 hours. I pump during the day with the PISA every 2-3 hrs. I've tried a mini pumping vacation every 2 hours, but I can't sustain it. With work and household chores, I can't get in more than 6-8 pumping sessions per day. I do wake up at least once in the night.

Originally, I was pumping for 20-30 minutes. But since I get letdown faster now, I pump for 15 minutes or two minutes after the last drops once I hit the 15 minute mark. I don't get any less milk with the shorter time and I am less tender. Should I change my schedule?

Crys

-- Twins Braxton and Malcolm, 12/28/06
Idaho
Idaho
Chrys I would pump every 2-3 hours like you are, Try to pump 8 times a day and just keep it up. It is consistency that builds. It seems like when I was pumping I was only getting drops for the longest time, then sprays and then before I knew it ounces at each session. It wasn't like a gradual thing it was more like little leaps of progression.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Crys,

The Limerick is different from most pumps because it has flexible breast shields. You need to center your nipple/areolar area and place the breast shields, then turn on the pump and move the dial all the wayl, and adjust the suction with the other dial, not too much, you don't want to hurt yourself. Your breast tissue should suck inside a bit and stay put rather than move back and forth as much as with the other pumps. The breast shield compresses and relaxes as the suction is applied. For more detailed instructions, see the DVD that comes with the product or contact Joan Ortiz joan.ortiz@limerickinc.com

Best,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.