Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9765 09/06/07 07:45 PM
Z
zoocrew Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Hi, my name is Jamie. On Sunday my GS gave birth to my son at 25 weeks and 6 days. I was going to induce lactation but have only been on the bcps and domp for about a week now. The doctors are encouraging me to induce lactation and pump for Tyler. He is getting donor milk right now. How long should I continue the bcps and domp before I have a good chance of pumping and having success? I have nursed two babies (when I could get pregnant myself) and I induced for my first GS baby. I only did domp the last time and got enough to feed my baby for the first week or two and then I had to supplement. I'd like to do better this time. All advice is appreciated. smile Jamie

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Jamie you can do the accelerated protocol. Stay on the bcp and dom for a total of 30 days. Go off the bcp add the herbs and start pumping like crazy. It is not the ideal protocol but in your situation you need to get your milk going. How long since you last nursed a baby?

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Z
zoocrew Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Laurie, I last nursed in early 2006. Would I have a better supply if we kept giving Tyler donor milk and I took the bcp/domp for at least 2 months? Is there a big difference between taking the combination one month or two?

Idaho
Idaho
Well the longer you are on it the better. If you knew that you could give donor milk for two months I would do that. Once he is able to go to the breast you could give him the donor milk in a lact-aid during the time you are on the protocol.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Idaho
Idaho
You can always just play it by ear. Stay on it a month and see how you feel about doing another month on it or 6 weeks even. I am glad your doctors are encouraging you.

Canada
L
L
Canada
Dear Jamie,

Congratulations on your little one's arrival. How is he doing? How are you doing? Did you know my older son was born 2 months early? You can read our story here: http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/mothers_story.html

One of the most important things you can do for your son once his respiration and heart rate are stable is to hold him skin-to-skin as much as possible. This is called Kangaroo Mother Care: http://www.kangaroomothercare.com/

The other is to bring in your breastmilk and when he's able, to breastfeed him. Usually premature infants don't have the suck>swllow>breathe thing down until about the equivalent of 32 weeks gestation. You can use that time to prepare. Start with 30 days, with your doctor's knowledge, and see how things are going. At that point you can consider pumping or continuing on the protocol for another couple of weeks before starting to pump with an excellent dual electric breastpump.

Please keep us posted on your progress and feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you have further questions or concerns.

Best, Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
Z
zoocrew Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Thanks, Lenore. I am starting to pump tomorrow. I hope for a good supply for Tyler. He is doing pretty well besides the "normal" preemie issues like apnea and bradycardia.

Jamie

Last edited by zoocrew; 09/28/07 05:28 AM.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.