Next Thread
Print Thread
washington state
J
julia Offline OP
OP Offline
J
washington state
Hi - So I've followed the newman protocol, started pumping & herbs lastNovember and have been pumping 5-8 times a day since then. We received our special little girl as quite a surprise, we were called and asked if we could pick her up from the hospital! That was a week and half ago. At that time I was producing 8-10 oz/day. We took MacKenzie home at day 3. I've been bf her since. I've put her on both breast, on demand, but when she is still rooting after a good 10-15 min on each side, then I've supplemented her with frozen breastmilk, using finger feeding w/syringe and tube, I've also tried putting the tube in her mouth when she is bf'ing. Both these methods have become rather difficult as she senses the tubing, gags or spits it all out. I've resorted to giving her supplements via avent bottle - and so far she is going back and forth alright. I was wondering if all induced moms need to supplement, I had hoped that with all the pumping I'd not have to supplement.....any suggestions on the SNS vs Lactaid on ease of use? I also have twin 3 year old boys so time and ease is important! She is just a bit over 2 weeks old now, at 2 weeks she had not yet regained to her birth weight but she had not changed from her discharge weight of 7.7#. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I have a freezer full of only b.m. and I'll use it as I go along, but I haven't had time to pump ontop of everything else I'm doing....so I'm not sure how long it will last. Lately I've been giving her ~10+ oz of supplement frozen milk.
Thanks to all in advance!
Julia

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Congratulations on your daughters arrival! lact-aid over sns The tubing is smaller and it doesn't free flow It will take some practice but once you master it you will be so glad to use it. The more stimulation at the breast the better. Have you had your latch checked? It is super important to have a good latch so that your breasts are getting totally emptied each feeding.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
washington state
J
julia Offline OP
OP Offline
J
washington state
Hi - yes I met with a lactation consultant and MacKenzie is "clenching" - I was getting blisters and was very sore. I've healed now and it doesn't hurt when she's at the breast, but I still don't think she's getting her mouth open wide enough....so we are still working on it! Anyother suggestions greatly appreciated! I've never had a full term pregnancy, should I anticipate that i'll always need to supplement? thanks so much!
Julia

Idaho
Idaho
No not having gone to term isn't any indicator as to how full your supply will be. Have you looked at the latching videos here? http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/abindex.html
Scroll almost to the bottom. They are under video clips. I would also suggest you read through the other info here if you haven't already.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Julia,

Did you meet with a board certified lactation consultant? If your baby is properly latched it is impossible to "clench". You can find a board certified lactation consultant here: www.ilca.org Just click on the "Find a Lactation Consultant" button at the top of the page.

If your baby is gagging, the tube is in too far. She should not sense it. It is placed after the latch, in the corner of baby's mouth, only about 3/4 inch, enough for the suction to withdraw the fluid. Once you get the hang of it, it makes life a whole lot easier and the action of baby at the breast will help to build your milk supply.

Also, if your baby is already back to discharge wt, she's in good shape. We like to see a trend toward back to birthweight by 3 weeks of age.

Keep up the great work!

Best, Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.