photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10305 12/31/07 04:34 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. Here's my situation in a nutshell.

I had six children, all of whom I nursed on average 10 months each. At age 29, I had a full hysterectomy. Since, we have adopted four older children, and now are in the process to adopt a little boy, hopefully 2 years or younger, from Ukraine. I am now 32 years old. I would like to breastfeed my new son when we adopt him but I am discouraged, as I feel like it is only a dream. I'm not only not sure that my doctor will support this, but I am also not sure that an 18 month old child will even want to nurse. I really want to do this, and when I found this sight, I nearly jumped up and down with joy. But, I was not a huge milk producer when I nursed my biological children, and I have a feeling that my milk supply will be minimal thus discouraging me even more.

I think we will be traveling to Ukraine in about 60 days to adopt a son, but it is not definite. We will be flying for at least 12 hours with no access to a breast pump. Would this be an issue?

Thank you for any and all support, advice, suggested protocol, etc. I get from this thread.

Oh, and nice to be around so many women that feel as passionate about breastfeeding as I do.

Christine

thereed12 #10315 01/02/08 02:42 AM
M
M
I know a mom in my area who successfully breastfed her little boy who she adopted at 18 months, so it is possible!

She reintroduced a bottle to him first (he had been weaned form the bottle when she got him). She always held the bottle (cover it with a sock to look more like a part of your clothing). She also was the only one to feed him and he always sat in her lap when he ate solid food.

I think it took about 1-2 months to transition to him being comfortable being held and bottle fed, to threading the SNS tube through the bottle nipple, to holding the bottle nipple with the SNS through it over her breast, then onto her breast with the SNS, then to just the breast. Last I heard he was still happily nursing at 3 years. (including through her unexpected pregnancy and is now tandem nursing).

So, if nothing else, just know that it is possible!

Maggiemom #10316 01/02/08 05:27 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks Maggiemom,

I am very encouraged. Can anyone share about whether or not they did the protocol on their own without a doctor? Also, how supportive have friends and family been?

thereed12 #10352 01/13/08 07:42 AM
Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Absolutely it's possible. See my post on your other thread.

Best, Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.