#10383 01/30/08 02:29 AM
Missouri
H
HBurken Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Missouri
Hello all,

I'm so excited to have found this Forum. I am a 37 y.o. mom to daughters aged 6 & 7 y.o. The first via GS and did not BF, in part not knowing what potential my milk supply would be and it was chaotic at the time. Our 2nd daughter was unexpected bio-child and I loved BF-ing. My supply was enormous then. Now we are in process of adopting (likely a newborn) and knowing how well BF-ing went before, I would love this chance again. I am conflicted, however, about taking Domperidone. I have a thyroid disorder and it will likely mess up my thyroid maintenance protocol. I never had any significant problems taking BCPs years ago, so I am not too worried about that.

I guess my question is about the risks of taking Dom since the FDA warns against it. I worry a little about how my Gyn will respond and about obtaining the med if I decide to pursue. My endocrynologist was excited for me but did not feel comfortable exploring it further. She did offer to follow my thyroid levels more closely if I pursue this protocol.

We are on a budget as well with this adoption so I want to really explore the risks before plunging in and making the financial investment.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that we could get a call tomorrow about an available child or we could be matched ahead of time with a known due date.

Anyone have any opinions, experiences, or stats they would want to share regarding the risks of Domperidone?

Thanks for listening and helping to weigh in on our decision. I already feel like I would be missing out on something if I didn't try to BF, but I don't want to take too many medical risks.

Hope

Mom to Olivia via GS, Mya (bio), and a future #3 through the miracle of open adoption
Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Dear Hope,

Thank you for your message. I'm not quite clear on how domperidone would affect your thyroid since it primarily acts on the pituitary to release prolactin. I can't speak for the FDA but I can tell you Health Canada approved domperidone over 20 years ago for gastric motillity issues and that we have a pediatric dose. The theoretical amount that could end up in the milk is far less than the pediatric dose.

We have worked with over 2000 thousand mothers who induced lactation using domperidone, with no adverse effects reported in mothers or their infants. When considering the financial investment of the protocols kindly consider the fact that the use of artificial infant milk can run as high as $5000 per year depending on the one chosen. Besides the obvious immune benefits, researchers have now identified over 200 components in breastmilk including interferon and immunoglobulins like Secretory IgA which fights pathogens. Formula averages about 28 and does not contain any live cells so no immune protection. Also, breastmilk is species specific, perfectly suited to human infants.

Kindly discuss all of this with your doctor and let me know how you wish to proceed.

best, Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
Missouri
H
HBurken Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Missouri
Thank you Lenore! It is a pleasure hearing from you. I really appreciated the stats given on domperidone. I've no doubt that breast milk is best. My "thyroid" Dr. was excited for me but did tell me that the thyroid is linked to the hypothalamus and pituitary so she would f/u on my levels every 6 wks if I started. I received no support from my Gyn Dr. I have a friend who is an OB/GYN and he was enthused for me as well and I think will agree to write prescriptions for me.

The pump has been purchased and the herbs. I'm thinking of trying the accelerated protocol given that our adoption could happen very rapidly and also that I was a great milk producer with my daughter 6 years ago.

Have many had success with the accelerated protocol? I'm hoping this will suffice.

I see Ortho 1/35 is now recommended...is this or Domperidone obtainable without a prescription? I don't see that Inhouse Pharmacy carries the Ortho.

Thanks so much,
Hope

(I should add that the lactation consultant I contacted in St. Louis was helpful and said she had the pleasure of hearing you speak!)

Last edited by HBurken; 02/14/08 04:23 AM.

Mom to Olivia via GS, Mya (bio), and a future #3 through the miracle of open adoption

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.