home
Posted By: TrishWSU Alternative to Domperidone - 06/14/07 10:29 PM
My IM (I'm a surrogate) is in the process of inducing lactation following the longer protocal but as she was researching the Domperidone she found out it interacts w/ another medication she currently takes. The medication is safe for breastfeeding, but the Domperidone and the medication together won't work. She's really hoping to be able to exclusively BF the baby. So, with that being said:

1. Is there a safe alternative to Domperidone (prescription or herbal?)

2. Is the Domperidone absolutely necessary for inducing lacation? Will not taking it affect how much she is able to produce if she doesn't take it? (she has never carried a pregnancy past the 1st tri and she has severe PCOS)

TIA for any help you can provide. I am only 7 weeks along and she has been on the BCPs for a few months already so she has a lot of time to get ready, but we're hoping for the best results-a full supply!

~Trish
Posted By: Lalle Re: Alternative to Domperidone - 06/14/07 10:47 PM
Trish (waves frantically) I am massaginmommy on the MDC>
Is your IM doing the NG protocol with the bcp? If she can't take the dom she can use Goats Rue. Not sure on the amounts. I will find that out for you. The goats rue is a good alternative but nothing beats the domperidone. Any chance the other meds could be changed to be compatible with the dom?
Posted By: TrishWSU Re: Alternative to Domperidone - 06/15/07 09:41 AM
WOW! Small internet, lol!

Yes, she is doing the regular N-G protocal. She actually started the BCPs a few months ago (when we started insems) and was just about to order the Dom when she saw the possible interaction. She is planning to go to her doc soon to find out if there is really an interaction, if so she will see if she can switch her meds. If not she is willing to go off of them while establishing her supply if there is/was no alternative to the domperidone.

Hopefully she'll have luck with the Goat's Rue if it looks like to dom will cause problems.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Posted By: Lenore Re: Alternative to Domperidone - 06/21/07 05:45 AM
Hi Trish,

Which medication is your IM worried about interacting with domperidone?

Best, Lenore

© Ask Lenore Forums