home
Posted By: Jamiehuns Which pump to use? - 08/09/07 10:25 PM
I'm looking into buying a pump. My friend can't find her PIS to loan me, so I have to buy one.

Which pump should I get??? The Ameda gets better reviews and so does Avent Isis iQ Duo Breast Pump compared to the PIS. Just on this: Breast pump comparisons sounds like I'd like the Ameda.

I used the Avent Isis for my other kids, but they are my bio kids. SO I went through pregnancy with them. So I have to start over and need a double pump for that. I did like the Isis when I used it.

So I need some opinions. Has anyone tried the Ameda vs. Medella?

Thanks!!

Jamie
Posted By: Jamiehuns Re: Which pump to use? - 08/09/07 10:38 PM
Even here it's rated higher with less cons. http://www.breastpumpcomparisons.com/breast-pump-reviews.html
Posted By: Lalle Re: Which pump to use? - 08/10/07 04:49 AM
Jamie those are comparisons for a woman who has gone through a pregnancy and is looking for a pump. It isn't for inducing lactation. The recommendation is still the Medela PIS or the PISA the Symphony, or the Limerick. I used the PIS with great success, I had rented a lactina before that I didn't do so well with it.
Nona may have more info for you she has used a number of pumps.
Posted By: Nona Re: Which pump to use? - 08/10/07 04:29 PM
Since the Limerick is so expensive and they are slowly fazing out the PIS original I would get the PISA.
Posted By: Jamiehuns Re: Which pump to use? - 08/10/07 06:45 PM
Have you or anyone ever tried the Ameda?

Thanks!
Jamie
Posted By: mommy2three Re: Which pump to use? - 08/10/07 07:06 PM
I had an Ameda for my bio, I switched to the pis last year when I first induced lactation...
Posted By: Lalle Re: Which pump to use? - 08/10/07 07:22 PM
One of my good friends who gave birth used the Purely Yours pump to exclusively pump for her daughter. If worked great, but again she was not inducing lactation.
Posted By: Nona Re: Which pump to use? - 08/10/07 09:16 PM
I have tried the Ameda.. The Purly yours does not have enough suction and they tend to burn up. The hospital grade Ameda runs to to slow.
Posted By: Jamiehuns Re: Which pump to use? - 08/11/07 02:10 AM
Thank you very much! It happens that I have a friend with the PIS who found hers, she's shipping it Monday. And I have another friend with an Ameda, she's also shipping her to me on Monday. So we'll see which one works best for me. smile

I really appreciate your opinions and experiences!

Thanks!
Jamie
Posted By: Second Re: Which pump to use? - 09/17/07 04:45 AM
Jamie,

If you're still out there, can you report how the two pumps compared. I have an Ameda I've been using since the birth of my bio baby. However, I'm now wanting to increase my milk in preparation for adoption. I'm trying to figure out what is the best pump to go with.

Thanks
Posted By: Lalle Re: Which pump to use? - 09/17/07 01:12 PM
Second you are still lactating, if the Ameda is a double pump and has worked well for you I would say keep using it. Your situation is a bit different and you aren't inducing lactation, merely will be boosting your supply, right?
Posted By: Jamiehuns Re: Which pump to use? - 09/17/07 04:48 PM
My friend hasn't sent me the ameda yet. And I'm not pumping yet because I decided to go on the accelorated protocol. I'm sorry I can't answer your question. I'll be able to answer it in the middle of November.

Blessings,
Jamie
Posted By: mangogirl Re: Which pump to use? - 11/15/08 07:03 PM
Hello,

I have been researching induced lactation for a few weeks now and I thought we were supposed to be looking for only the hospital grade pumps , but I came across this forum/thread while doing a google search and it looks like the reccomendation here is the limerick which is not a pump im familiar with and the medela pump in style which some of the reviews I read online say its a good pump but breaks down fast.
I am also curious why the Avent Isis iQ Duo Breast Pump is not reccomended here since it said by avent to have a hospital grade motor that matches the vacuum strength of hospital-grade pumps and seems to get much better reviews then the medela pump in style as far as build quality and durability.

Ok here is a question:
If you had a choice beween a used 1 yr old limerick for about 220 dollars or a brand new pump in style for the same price which one would you choose?.

Before I came across this site I was strictly looking at used medela lactina's on ebay in the 250 dollar range which is about what I can afford to spend.

Also, I would like to know if the limerick can be used with a hands free bra or other hands free method.

Thanks,
mangogirl
Posted By: jenmarko Re: Which pump to use? - 11/16/08 07:09 AM
I have the limerick and like it a lot. I got a full supply within 2 weeks using it (I may have just got lucky, but assume the pump had something to do with it). I also have a pump in style that I use occasionally. I would get the limerick. It is rated multi user, whereas the PIS is not. I don't have a hands free bra, so I can't comment on that. I couldn't make my own hands free contraption like I did with the PIS (using two elastic hair bands on the flange) because the flanges are soft.
Jennifer
Posted By: Lalle Re: Which pump to use? - 11/16/08 04:38 PM
You can take sports bra and cut a small hole in each cup. Thread the horn in from the inside out so the flanges are inside the bra cup then hook up your pump. Walaa hands free.
Posted By: mangogirl Re: Which pump to use? - 11/17/08 04:07 AM
Thanks girls,

I got the limerick!
© Ask Lenore Forums