home
Posted By: dejavumommy How Do I Deal With all the UNKNOWNS? - 08/28/07 06:33 PM
Hi. I'm new to this board. Our homestudy was just finished and we are now waiting for a birth mother match. We have no idea how long it could take, or even if it will happen. I have breastfed 2 biological children and would like to breastfeed an adopted baby too, but without taking any hormones or drugs, just herbs and pumping.

I would love to hear how some of you dealt with the unknown time frame.

Kris
Deja Vu Mommy
Posted By: Jalx Re: How Do I Deal With all the UNKNOWNS? - 08/31/07 03:12 PM
Hi Kris, I saw your message a few days ago and didn't really know what to answer...but since nobody seems to know, I'll try!

I was in a similar situation last year, waiting to be matched with a baby in a foster-adopt program, we didn't know when it would happen or even how old would the baby be! Having breastfed my bio daughter for 2 1/2 year, I wanted to bf that baby too.

I hesitated a long time before starting any preparation. But I did collect all the information I could. Like you I didn't want to take medication. I was lucky, I still had milk - just a little drop.

I went to the adoptive breastfeeding clinic and met with Lenore. She suggested that I take GoatRue and Domperidone and pump. After she explained me the fonction and use of the Domperidone I decided would take it... later, when I would be ready to start!
I didn't want to be pumping for months before having our baby, I think I didn't really believe it would happen some day! I needed to be sure there was a baby for us, I had lived enough deceptions in fertility clinic. The baby had to be real before I could start anything!

So I started the preparation when we received the first call saying "we have a baby, that might be perfect for you."
It took, the baby and me, a little time to get use to each other (he was 4 months old, bottlefed from birth). Then it took 3 months to achieve a full supply, and I'm still bfing him.

That's my story. But if your question is really How did I deal with the unknowns... My approach was I'll deal with it when I'll be there. I wouldn't say it was easy but it worked for me.

good luck!
Jalx
© Ask Lenore Forums