home
Posted By: Anonymous How do I increase my mil k supply?/ - 10/11/07 02:39 AM
I have a 3 week old baby but I am not producing enough milk? I pumped approx 8 times in 24 hours. I am having a lot of problem with the latching on and decided I would only pump. I pumped about 20 Ounce a day but baby consumes about 28 ounce. Any suggestions on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Tish
Posted By: Lalle Re: How do I increase my mil k supply?/ - 10/11/07 04:31 AM
Tish I would see a LC and get your latch worked out that is the best way to keep up with baby's demands. I am assuming this is your birth child. How long are you pumping each time and what pump are you using?
Posted By: Lenore Re: How do I increase my mil k supply?/ - 10/11/07 05:39 PM
Hi Tish,

It's important to arrange for a home visit with a board certified lactation consultant who can assist you with the latch. Breastfeeding is far easier than pumping/bottles, washing, sterilizing. Once you and your baby get the hang of it, it's really quite rewarding. And your milk supply should improve because babies are the best "pumps". You can find a board certified lactation consultant here: www.ilca.org Just click on the "find a lactation consultant" button at the top of the page.

You can also use herbs like fenugreek and blessed thistle to help your milk supply but number one is to fix the latch and enjoy your baby.

Best, Lenore
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How do I increase my mil k supply?/ - 10/12/07 01:48 AM
Hello Lenore & All,

Thank you so much for the information; I am taking fenugreek( just bought the 610mg today) and blessed thistle. I am using the electric pump medela and I pumped for 15mins every 2 1/2- 3 1/2hrs; 8 times within 24 hours. I do have a lactation consultant coming to see on sunday. The last time she was her she didn't seem too hopeful, I hope on sunday it will be a better visit. I am the birth mother.

Thank you,
Tish

Posted By: Lalle Re: How do I increase my mil k supply?/ - 10/12/07 08:05 PM
Tish if your LC is not hopeful I would look for someone else. Since you are the birth mother unless there is a physical reason that you cannot nurse (and it doesn't sound lie you do) then you should be able to nurse. Getting your latch down is key. Keep trying. Did you have a traumatic birth? any placenta issues?
Posted By: Lenore Re: How do I increase my mil k supply?/ - 10/30/07 06:35 AM
How did the visit go on Sunday?
© Ask Lenore Forums