home
Posted By: kimjimbo last minute questions - 08/02/07 02:29 AM
Ok, the day is almost here. My sis (our TS) is due for induction this Friday; yes, almost 32 more hours from now, here are a few questions:
1. My donor mom was supposed to deliver a few weeks ago, she's always had an over-abundace of supply and offered to provide supplement for our dd - the problem - at 39 weeks her baby was induced due to still birth. She didn't pump at first because she was in too much pain - physically & mentally. She tried to pump in the last few days and was not able to get anything with the pump (her 3yo ds still bf and seems to be very satisfied though). So, now I don't know what to do - dh was ok with her donating but not someone we don't know and we don't know anyone else that is currently bf??? I guess we'll have to supplement with formula frown
2. How do you know which formula?
3. Should I still try to bf at hospital with lact-aid or just wait until we are home? (Note: Currently, I'm only getting .6 - .75 ml's DAILY)
4. If I should still try at hospital with lactaid how many units do I need and how do you sterilize while at the hospital?
5. Gosh, I don't know - probably have more but am too excited to remember what they are - so if you think of an answer I need a ??? to LOL please let me know.
Thanks in advance,
Kim
Posted By: Nona Re: last minute questions - 08/02/07 04:04 AM
They say Carnation Good Start is really good. If I were you I would breastfeed at the hospital. Just take your units and supplies with you. I would take 2 units so you don't have a lot to keep track of while you are there. You can mix fresh formula as needed and fix a lact-aid. You do not need to sterilize your lact-aids. Just wash them real good at the hospital and lay out on a towel to air dry. See if your sister will pump milk for you? That would be the best option.
Posted By: Lalle Re: last minute questions - 08/02/07 04:09 AM
Kim will your sister pump for you for awhile? Even if it is just for 6 weeks or so. It will be healthy for her and good for your baby. Her milk is going to come in whether she pumps or not.
As for formula I believe there are only 3 formula manufacturers in the US. Read the back of the labels. Even the WalMart brand is made by one of the major ones. Our WalMart has an Organic formula if I had to use formula I think I would start with that one. By all means nurse immediately and as often as you can in the hospital. You don't have to sterilize your lact-aid pieces just wash with warm soapy water. Baby to breast is the biggest thing. So nurse nurse nurse with the lact-aid.
WOW!!! Friday is only just over 24 hours away. How exciting!!!
Posted By: Lalle Re: last minute questions - 08/02/07 04:10 AM
LOL Nona and I were thinking the same thing. smile I used Carnation Good Start with DD afer trying others and she did really good on it.
Posted By: kimjimbo Re: last minute questions - 08/02/07 04:18 AM
No afraid not - about sis pumping. She said from the very beginning of our journey if breastfeeding/pumping was mandatory- the deal was off!1 So, of course, I said it wasn't mandatory. She always tried to bf her boys (very reluctantly and not ever successfully) She said it was wayyyy to painful for her and thinks I'm crazy to even try. She's not against it, just doesn't understand my deep desire to abf. Plus, she's going back to work in 2 weeks (She's a teacher/applying for an AP position) So, she's already gonna be so busy. She's given so much up already just carrying our babe that I really don't feel comfortable pushing her on this issue.
Ok, I have packed the lactaids and bags. Do I need to bring the formula to the hospital and should I have a bag ready when dd is born or just put her to the "bare" breast? I know, I sound so "dumb"(is the only word I can think of) but I really don't know the answers.
Laurie, I know one more day!!!!!!! Woohoo!!!
TIA,
kim
Posted By: Lalle Re: last minute questions - 08/02/07 04:36 AM
I would have a bag ready but just put her to the breast without the lact-aid first. Just enjoy that moment of unencumbered nursing. smile You can always add in the lact-aid if you need to.
I totally understand about your sister. I think she is awesome for doing what she has for. smile
Posted By: mommy2three Re: last minute questions - 08/02/07 05:24 AM
I'd have a lactaid ready, but if you had given birth to her don't forget there would be very little there until the milk "comes in" anyway. Nurse like a mad-woman for a few days, and you may need that lact-aid very little.

I used Enfamil With Lipil or Enfamil with Dha, its the same thing, just named different in different areas. The DHA is really good for babies, my pediatrician says its the best there is if you have to use formula. I don't know why, but its the only formula available to WIC clients in my state. I don't know if its a contract thing or if its because of any other reason, I'm not that familiar with WIC.

Again, no reason to sterilize your lact-ait, breastmilk supplies don't need the same rigor as formula supplies. Just some soapy water and you will be all set. I would avoid the bottles and start lact-aid as soon as you can. Remember, its supply and demand. The more you have your daughter at the breast, the more milk you will make.

Congratulations... how exciting!!! Please keep us updated... just an fyi : looks like our daughter will be born next week! smile

My prayers are with your friend that lost her child. I lost an infant son (Wesley Nicolas)when he was 36 hours old back in 2002. I will keep her in my thoughts that her grief journey is endurable. It's a road that never ends, just changes. I still mourn for my son every day, and I always will. Nothing compares to it, not the 5 miscarriages I had, not the death of any other family member. You will never know how much it means to her if you tell her its ok to feel how she does as long as she needs to, she doesn't need to be the strong one, and she never has to "get over it". Just some advice from a mommy with an angel baby.

Kristen
Posted By: kimjimbo Re: last minute questions - 08/02/07 12:39 PM
Thanks Kristen and Lalle,
Then I will have one ready but will put Abigail right to the breast. smile
Kristen, thanks for the prayers for our friend. She is actually the wife of our kids pastor. And all I can say, is my heart is broken for them. I cry everytime I think about it. When given the opportunity, maybe I'll share with her what you said. Oh, and btw, she is scheduled for an induction tomorrow morning - therefore, we will have a baby this week.
Thanks again
Posted By: mommy2three Re: last minute questions - 08/02/07 01:08 PM
laugh I am so excited about your induction tomorrow!! Is your sis letting you be in the room? I will keep you, your sis and your families in my prayers that everything goes quickly, smoothly (and painlessly for sis). Congrats!! Don't forget to post a pic or two !!!
Posted By: Nona Re: last minute questions - 08/02/07 04:51 PM
Yes please post some pictures! We would LOVE to see them. smile
Posted By: kimjimbo Re: last minute questions - 08/02/07 07:23 PM
Yes, sis said I can be in the room and dh can be right outside the room and come in as soon as she is delivered. She a bit shy and doesn't want to "show all" with my dh in the room during the pushing phase.
Will post pics asap and thanks for the prayers. We could use every prayer given.
Posted By: Lalle Re: last minute questions - 08/02/07 07:36 PM
I am so excited for you. smile Can't wait to see your pictures of little Abigail.
© Ask Lenore Forums