home
Posted By: kimjimbo ok - what now? - 08/24/07 02:10 PM
Abigail is 3 weeks old today - I just don't know about the breastfeeding. She will not feed without the lact-aid hardly at all. And she won't always latch - often gets so angry because I can't get the tube right where she wants it that she ends up completely refusing the breast. Also, I can't seem to use any position other than the football one and it is a very uncomfortable 20 minutes or so while she does eat. I have spent so much time, energy, and money trying to prepare and I don't seem to be producing hardly anything still. I still can't fill the bottom of a bottle and have to collect in a syringe. Any advice, should I give up on all the herbs, dom, etc. and just use the lactaid as she wills or what? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Spoon Re: ok - what now? - 08/24/07 03:44 PM
I certainly don't have an answer for you, but I wanted you to know that I truly care and will pray for you. Remember, you are probably really exhausted. New babies are stressful, though fun, even if you have a full milk supply. It is hard to make a good decision when you are sleep deprived.

You may be second guessing yourself because you are following Abigail's cue. Remember, she hasn't done the research on breast feeding like her mommy has. She can't possibly know how beneficial just the sucking motions at the breast can be for her ears, etc. Even if she justs gets a few ounces from your breast, nothing can possible replace the way your nipple draws into her mouth.

If you want my two cents...drink lots of water, rest as much as possible (yeah right) and just decide in your mind to take baby steps. Try something different...I read somewhere where you could bandaid the lactaid in place before you start nursing, clamp it to where there is no milk flow until she empties your breast, then unclamp it. You've probably tried everything, but I'm guessing she is too upset by the time you are trying to get the tube in her mouth to cooperate.

I have read many of your posts. You have done such a wonderful job getting ready for Abigail. You have made so many good but difficult choices on her behalf. She is blessed to have you as a mommy.

Keep us posted!
Posted By: kimjimbo Re: ok - what now? - 08/24/07 09:42 PM
Thanks Spoon,
You're right - I am a bit tired - not too much but a tad.

If I was even getting 1 oz per day I would be happy. I guess I just wonder when to call enough enough as far as the costs of the herbs and meds vs the lack of production. It is not that we can't afford the supplements but neither do I want to be unwise in my quest.

Either way, I plan on continuing to feed at the breast as much as she is willing and I am able. It's just a matter of continuing to try and produce bm.

Thanks for the encouragement and believe me I truly believe in prayers and will appreciate every one lifted up.
Posted By: Spoon Re: ok - what now? - 08/24/07 11:53 PM
Well, I say keep trying. I read a post somewhere about a lady who used a lactaid for seven weeks before she had her milk come in, then eventually it was enough to wean off the lactaid.

Granted, I haven't done it, but you won't ever regret keeping on, but you might regret stopping, if you know what I mean?

I will continue to pray as I have seen many unusual prayers answered recently. I know it works.

Give your sweet baby a kiss and enjoy every moment. It truly goes by too fast.

Blessings,
Spoon
© Ask Lenore Forums