home
Posted By: kimjimbo Are we finished already? - 10/18/07 07:00 PM
As I'm typing this, Abigail is sucking on a bottle AGAIN! It's not that unusual except that for the last 3 days she has almost always refused the breast. Once, last night, I got her to bf. I try but get so frustrated when she is screaming and choking. It's never been about breast milk for me because I still don't produce more then a few drops every 2 - 3 hours from each breast - it really is solely about bonding for us. So, do I accept the 10 weeks that we have had and go on or ... I don't even know what the or would be frown
kim
Posted By: kimjimbo Re: Are we finished already? - 10/18/07 07:02 PM
Not sure if it matters but at 10 weeks she is up to 15 or so pounds and drinks anywhere from 4 - 7 oz per feeding.
Posted By: Maggiemom Re: Are we finished already? - 10/19/07 03:41 AM
Are you doing lots of skin on skin? That is usually the best "prescription" for getting baby back to the breast. Take a day to devote to holding her, skin on skin, all day if you can (watch a bunch of movies with her on your bare chest!)

Are you putting her to the breast after the bottle? Diane West has a great description of the "finish at the breast" technique on her lowmilksupply.org web site at: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/finishatthebreast.shtml

Hang in there! Even bio moms with a full milk supply can go through a "nursing strike" like this!
Posted By: kimjimbo Re: Are we finished already? - 10/20/07 09:50 PM
The all day skin on skin would be extremely difficult as my daddy lives with us (due to medical reasons). But the next am, I gave it a shot again and she immediately took right to the breast so I guess she was just having a few yucky days. Thanks for the link - I will check it out.
Oh yeah - I also cut down on some of the citrus (pummulos) that I was eating daily - They are very strong in scent. I thought maybe she just didn't like the smell. Who knows - but the good thing is we aren't finished yet!!!1
Posted By: Lalle Re: Are we finished already? - 10/20/07 10:36 PM
Yay! That is good news. You could wear her in a sling and just leave that breast exposed on the side she is on. You would be covered with the sling. I love the advice you have gotten form Maggiemom too.
Posted By: Jamiehuns Re: Are we finished already? - 10/23/07 08:55 PM
I'm getting a Moby Wrap for this purpose. Then i'll wear a button up shirt over the wrap and baby. www.mobywrap.com

HTH,
Jamie
Posted By: Lalle Re: Are we finished already? - 10/23/07 10:16 PM
Jamie that is a great idea. All my friends who have used Moby's love them. They are well worth the $35 or so that they cost.
Posted By: kimjimbo Re: Are we finished already? - 10/23/07 10:18 PM
I have (and love) a new native sling. But, both she and I are so hot natured that neither one of us can stand it for long unless the a/c is set super low. And with our high ceilings and the temps in FL I can't afford to do that often. We have been doing alot of cuddling and she is doing ok for now. Thanks and best wishes Jamie!
© Ask Lenore Forums