home
Posted By: michelep Just starting out - 11/12/07 05:14 PM
I've been lurking for awhile but want to introduce myself and share my progress. We are having a baby via gestational surrogate (edd 6/6/08) as I have health issues and can't carry myself. I started taking Dom and Goat's Rue(can't take bcp's) and pumping and after 5 days I have drops of milk!!! I will start Blessed Thistle and Fenugreek today. I know I have a loooonnngg way to build a milk supply but I have hope. This is so important to me that I breastfeed since I can't be pregnant.

Great to meet all of you!
Posted By: kimjimbo Re: Just starting out - 11/12/07 07:24 PM
Keep going Michele, you can do it! and what a reward it is to have that miracle baby at your breast! I know because my Abigail is 14 weeks old, born to me via TS (my sis)!
Wow, you have a such a blessing yet to come!!! smile
kim
Posted By: michelep Re: Just starting out - 11/12/07 10:28 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Kim!! We are really getting excited. It is starting to feel real-we are having a baby!

Posted By: Candace Re: Just starting out - 11/29/07 07:40 PM
Hi! I am in a similar position and timeline. My GS is due 6/13. Congrats! I have started the dom and am on BCP but I was under the impression that I should not pump until a few months before the baby is due. Is there a reason you have started so early?
Posted By: michelep Re: Just starting out - 11/29/07 09:29 PM
Congratulations on your impending arrival!!

When you are on BCP's and Dom you should not be pumping until you stop taking the BCP's. However, I can not take the pill for health reasons so I need to start pumping as soon as I started Dom and Goat's Rue.
Posted By: Candace Re: Just starting out - 11/30/07 01:06 AM
Got it! Thanks and good luck!!
Posted By: michelep Re: Just starting out - 11/30/07 01:26 AM
No problem. It's nice to meet other IM who are inducing lactation. Good luck to you too.
Posted By: S U Re: Just starting out - 11/30/07 03:05 AM
Wow - it looks as though there are a few of us that are on the same timeline. Our little ones are due May 18/08.

Michele, I'm in a similar situation as you - I can't take BCP's either. I think it's really important to breastfeed for so many different reasons. I think it's great that you alread have drops of milk. I'm going to look into the goat's rue and add it to the dom I've been taking.

I'm really bummed out because I know I need to be pumping more - but it just isn't possible. I have no place with any privacy to do it during the day - even the bathroom at work is a communal one. I'm hoping that doing some pumping before work, right after and just before bed will do the trick. How long do you pump for? I think I read somewhere that pumping 10 minutes then resting 10 and back to pumping for 10 and resting 10 for about an hour is the way to go. Does anyone have any other tips or tricks?
Thanks,
SU
Posted By: michelep Re: Just starting out - 11/30/07 05:05 AM
I have been pumping for 20 minutes at time every 4 hours but I don't have a problem with privacy. Maybe you could go out to your car if you drive to work. I have a hands-free bra that is great because I am typing this while pumping. But it might may it more discreet with a blanket or coat to cover.

The other thing I am doing is eating oatmeal 5-6 times a week for breakfast as it helps promote milk production. I take a prenatal vitamin and a calcium with magnesium. Calcium with magnesium helps lessen the natural decrease in milk production that comes from your menstrual period.

Maybe Lenore, Lalle or Nona all who have much more experience than I have can give you some recommendations on duration of pumping. It's great that you are doing this for your child even with the challenges to pumping!!! Congratulations!!!

Posted By: S U Re: Just starting out - 11/30/07 04:37 PM
Hey Michele

Every 4 hours - wow that's great! I think the way you're doing it is much better than the way I've tried. I'm going to try it. Do you get up at night too to do it?

How much goat's rue are you taking? Do you know if it has any hormones in it as I can't take any type of hormone at all.

Regarding the oatmeal - I'll try it, but I'm not a big fan of it. Hopefully, I'll be able to get it down! I don't get a period (due to Asherman's) so, I'm assuming the calium and magnesium aren't going to be necessary????

Thanks,
SU
Posted By: michelep Re: Just starting out - 11/30/07 05:44 PM
I take 1 goat's rue tablet 4x/day. Goat's rue has no hormones in it. I had a stroke while on the pill so I know how you feel about hormones. I would take the calcium anyway as it is important to make sure you get 1200mg/day when you are nursing, so I take the calcium with magnesium.

I don't especially like oatmeal but I can get down Quaker Oats instant oatmeal with apples and cinnamon, cinnamon roll or maple and brown sugar. Also, if you like oatmeal cookies or breakfast bars that's good too.

I don't pump at night right now. But as the time gets nearer I will have to learn to pump at least once a night.
Posted By: S U Re: Just starting out - 12/05/07 02:28 AM
Hi Michelle

I'm just checking in to see how it's going.....I'm having a hard time finding the goat's rue. Hopefully I'll get my hand's on it soon.

I was wondering if you started the Dom, goat's rue and pumping all on the same day? Also, what dosage of Goat's Rue do you take?

Have you started the other herbs? How's that going?
Posted By: michelep Re: Just starting out - 12/05/07 04:31 PM
I get about 16-20 mls per/24 hour period. I now take the other herbs which I started after I got milk covering the bottom of the bottle.

I only found Goat's Rue at Motherlove.com. I also looked for other sites but couldn't find any that had capsules because I don't like the tinctures. If you do a search on the message boards you can find a site that you can buy bulk herbs and then buy the empty capsules and put the herbs into the capsules. For me it was too much of a hassle for taking long term.
Posted By: michelep Re: Just starting out - 12/05/07 04:35 PM
I didn't answer the whole question. I did start taking the Dom, goat's rue and pumping on the same day but I won't wait to start if you don't have the Goat's Rue. Take the Dom and start pumping and then whenever you get the Goat's Rue start taking it.
Posted By: S U Re: Just starting out - 12/05/07 05:39 PM
Michele

You certainly give me hope! I can't believe you're getting so much milk already! This is wonderful.

I've already tried only taking the Dom and pumping...but like I said before, I don't think I was pumping enough. I got really discouraged because of that. So, I want to make sure that I'm giving myself the best shot before I start again, so I want to make sure that I've got the herbs too.

I'm thnking that I'll head to my local health store and pick up the Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle. The Goat's Rue seems to be a little difficult to get - so I think I'll pass on that one and see how the rest goes!
Posted By: Lalle Re: Just starting out - 12/05/07 09:51 PM
Those capsule do it yourself things are pretty easy. And now that it was mentioned that is how I did my goats rue, in bulk
© Ask Lenore Forums