home
Posted By: smokeyswife Just starting protocol - 05/15/09 05:33 PM
Hi,

I just started the protocol after trying to induce lactation naturally with no success. I had been pumping every 3 hours for the last 3 months, and took EVERY herb to help that you can think of.

So now I am not pumping, and just started the protocol of Yasmin/Dom. Someone please tell me this is going to work! Is there anybody who the protocol did not work for?

Thanks,
Dawn
Posted By: Linda Re: Just starting protocol - 05/15/09 07:20 PM
Hi Dawn,

I started the accelerated protocol 10 days after my DD was born. I didn't have high speed access at the time, so I had no idea that there was a message board out there, so I had no info other than what was on the asklenore site.

First day off the BCP, I had drops of milk. I was so jazzed! I was using the SNS every time I BF my daughter and I slowly build up milk production. I did get majorly frustrated with the SNS and with the new high speed internet, found out that lact aid was out there as well. With the increased stimulation that the lact aid provides, I was able to achieve a full supply.
Something to note, I was 46 when I started. : )

So, at least for me, the protocol worked GREAT.
Posted By: Lisa4Christ Re: Just starting protocol - 05/15/09 09:10 PM
I was curious about why you preferred the lact aid over the SNS. I am adopting with a due date of May 29th. I was given an SNS, but if the lact-aid is better I need to order one. Please leave feedback on the differences between the two. Hope I don't start a debate:).
Posted By: smokeyswife Re: Just starting protocol - 05/16/09 12:31 AM
Thanks Linda,

The encouragement is what I needed. grin

Thanks so much,
Dawn
Posted By: jenmarko Re: Just starting protocol - 05/16/09 05:18 AM
I also got a full supply doing the protocol. We had no notice, so I started pumping the day we were placed with our daughter and I caught up to her need within 2 weeks. She has been exclusively bf ever since.

I've heard lots of people who had no success until they added in the domperidone. Good luck!
Jennifer
Posted By: Lalle Re: Just starting protocol - 05/16/09 01:17 PM
Lisa the SNS is free flow while the lact-aid makes baby work a little harder for milk. So there is more stimulation with the lact-aid. Lact-aid has a soft pouch SNS a hard bottle and I believe the tubing is different as well. Most women who have used both prefer the lact-aid.
Posted By: Lisa4Christ Re: Just starting protocol - 05/16/09 02:54 PM
Thanks for the reply. I checked the lact-aid out online. I did not know about the free flow with the SNS. It would seem that with more stimulation more milk would be produced. After 2 and 1/2 weeks of pumping, i got milk in the bottle yesterday. Not much, but some:) Thanks for your help.

Just a side note, a friend is producing more then her baby can eat, so she is giving me her extra supply!!!! Hopefully little Josiah will be supplemented with breast milk!!!
Posted By: Linda Re: Just starting protocol - 05/16/09 03:15 PM
Hi Lisa,

I started with the SNS. I found it pretty frustrating, the flow would go with out DD sucking, I would drench my shirt and not know it.
I found she like the flow from the SNS better than nursing from me, that made it hard.

I finally bought a lact aid from a gal on this forum when my DD was 2 months old and our son brought it here to Bolivia. After a few tries I was sold.

One issue though, is that it works BEST if the milk ( either breast or formula) is strained through a wet paper towel first. Other wise the tube can become clogged. There were times of frustration for both DD and myself when the tube had clogged with the SNS and I was not aware of the problem.

If I had a way to send it to the U.S. I would give you my lact aid, I don't use it anymore and I have 100 bags that go with the 2 lact aid devises.

I could try and sent it by post, but there would be no guarantee it would arrive. Most likely it would...

I would love to have someone benefit from it.
grace
Posted By: Lisa4Christ Re: Just starting protocol - 05/16/09 04:12 PM
That would be great. I sent you a PM.
Posted By: Lalle Re: Just starting protocol - 05/16/09 05:08 PM
There is supposed to be a strainer that goes with the funnel for filling. I would contact lact-aid and see about getting it replaced.
Posted By: talithasmom Re: Just starting protocol - 05/17/09 09:40 PM
I found that with the strainer it took forever to fill the bags. Another option I used was to buy a reusable coffee filter and pour the days supply through that. Liquid concentrate formula clogs less but I still occasionally got clogs even after we were using regular milk. Having a spare top with tube with you at all times means you just have to pop off the clogged top and switch it to the new one. A little fiddly but you get quick at it.
Posted By: smokeyswife Re: Just starting protocol - 05/20/09 02:28 PM
Well, I am on day 6 of the protocol, and my breasts already seem to be changing. They feel heavy, and swollen, and seem larger to me already. I hope this indicates good things! grin
© Ask Lenore Forums