home
Posted By: Becky "Older moms and content of milk" - 08/19/03 09:38 PM
Hi all, I have a question? A nurse friend of mine told me that the older we get the less good stuff we have in our milk. She wasn't sure what that meant. Do any of you? Is it true? I am an older mom, not decrepit, but older then 37. Is there an age that says yes, your milk will not be any good? I am very concerned as I so much wanted to nurse our babies even with the lact-aid. Thanks, Becky
Posted By: owlhaven Re: "Older moms and content of milk" - 08/19/03 10:39 PM
No insult to your friend, but that sounds like utter hogwash to me. I have done tons of reading on breastfeeding and have NEVER heard that. And I have known quite a few over-40 ladies over the years who have had nice chunky fully-breastfed babies.
Posted By: Nona Re: "Older moms and content of milk" - 08/19/03 10:55 PM
breastmilk from any age mother is good milk....
Posted By: Lenore Re: "Older moms and content of milk" - 08/20/03 12:37 AM
Excuse me but this is utter BALONEY!!! I mean no disrespect to your friend...only to whatever nursing instructor from Mars who told her this.

Even starving women in Africa produce 'good' milk. Breastfeeding is "robust", meaning as long as you have breasts and a functioning pituitary, your milk should be just fine. Plenty of grandmothers have fed their grandchildren.

Fondly,
Posted By: Becky Re: "Older moms and content of milk" - 08/20/03 03:23 AM
A million thanks to all who replyed regarding "old women and breast milk" -ha-ha. I truely was worried and I will tell my nurse friend that she needs to get her information correct before she spouts off. Thanks, again, I can happily continue my pumping looking forward to the day that our babies will replace the pump. Becky
Posted By: Nona Re: "Older moms and content of milk" - 08/21/03 05:24 AM
I know of a 60 year old woman who is pumping 14 ounces a day and her milk has 28 percent milk fat! So that tells ya.. breastmilk is breastmilk and good no matter what age...
Posted By: ladydemetreis1 Re: "Older moms and content of milk" - 08/21/03 12:47 PM
Wow!!!!
I'm not sure why she would be pumping at 60,but my gosh!!!
Hats off to her!!!!!!
Posted By: Nona Re: "Older moms and content of milk" - 08/21/03 05:09 PM
she has a sick neice who really needs the milk
Posted By: ladydemetreis1 Re: "Older moms and content of milk" - 08/21/03 07:28 PM
Thats so great that she would do that for her!!!
© Ask Lenore Forums