home
Posted By: esmejoy lact-aid questions (xpost) - 03/14/07 07:54 PM
Hello --

I'm getting ready to adopt a baby from Guatemala, and am hoping to breastfeed. I'll be with the child from a very young age (< 1 month), and have been following the protocol -- at this point pumping for a little over 2 weeks and getting 4 oz/day (anxious for more, of course, but trying to relax and trust that my supply will keep building!) So -- my questions.

1) I'm trying to get all my supplies together in advance, as I anticipate being in Guatemala for several months as the adoption process is completed. Right now I have two lact-aid units and just 100 4 oz bags. I'm wondering how many units/bags I should realistically acquire -- especially as I have no idea how well the system will work for us. Any ideas??

2) For those of you who have used the lact-aid, how did you negotiate that? i.e. did you use it every feeding, did you eventually discontinue it, did you start with breast only and then add the lact-aid or vice versa?

3) Finally, for those of you who have been able to provide 100% (or close to) breastmilk -- when did that happen for you? And, how did you know you had enough?

thanks!
Esme
Posted By: sleep247 Re: lact-aid questions (xpost) - 04/17/07 08:02 AM
sorry no one has replied to you, i hope you got he info you needed from someone...i just now saw your post.
Posted By: Lenore Re: lact-aid questions (xpost) - 04/20/07 07:02 AM
Hi Esme,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I was away from these forums for almost a month, tending to my 3-year-old son who was hospitalized with pneumonia that finally resolved. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Ok to answer your questions I need to ask you a few first. What protocol did you follow and for how long? Did you do the birth control pill/domperidone combination? If so, which birth control pill did you use and what dosage of domperidone. Which pump are you using? How often are you pumping in a 24 hour period and for how long each session?

Waiting for reply.....

Best, Lenore
© Ask Lenore Forums