home
Posted By: dmw61003 4 weeks post-partum and drying up - 03/26/09 08:00 AM
I realize most of this is my mistake for not pumping like I should have however:

I am 4 weeks post-partum. I delivered my son on Feb. 21st and he immediately got frustrated while trying to get him to take to the breast. Despite all the effort I made to make sure it got done ASAP the hospital failed to circumcise my son before discharge so I was unable to start breastfeeding consistantly enough. So I lost even more time while he recovered from that.

I have started to dry up and would like to know what I need to do to increase my supply so that maybe in a month or two maybe he will take to me and so I can start giving him something better than formula. Also I've already spent the $$$ on a Medela Pump In Style.

What do I need to do as far as a pumping schedule and herbs.

Posted By: Lalle Re: 4 weeks post-partum and drying up - 03/26/09 12:36 PM
You need to get your baby to the breast now. I suggest first seeing a board certified Lactation consultant. You can use a supplemental nurser to get him taking milk or formula at your breast. The Lact-aid is fantastic. Pumping after feeds would help stimulate your breasts also. But having baby latching and nursing is the best stimulation and doing it at 4 weeks versus 8 weeks is best. What I mean is the sooner you get him back on the breast the better.
I don't really understand the comment about his circumscision interferring with nursing. Getting some supportive help will do wonders for getting you on the right track.
© Ask Lenore Forums