home
Posted By: Summer Lack of colostrum? - 08/02/14 11:07 PM
Hi,

I'm so glad I found this forum! I'm expecting my first baby through a gestational surrogate in January and will start the regular protocol to induce lactation soon!

I've been reading articles about newborn nutrition and they all talk about the importance of feeding the baby colostrum that the birth mother produces. Does anyone know what the downsides are if the baby does not get colostrum and gets my milk instead? Will my breast milk provide enough nutrition my baby needs?

Thanks in advance for your inputs!
Posted By: Claudia Re: Lack of colostrum? - 08/05/14 10:16 AM
Hi Summer,

I do not know the medical answer to your question. I think this is something you can email Lenore for or talk to your health care provider about. However I can say that some mothers never breastfeed and the children never receive colostrum. You are going to provide your child with your breast milk and that is a wonderful gift. If you are unable to provide colostrum that doesn't change the experience of breastfeeding that you will have. I have read on this forum that some surrogates are willing to pump the colostrum so that the baby can have it. It's an option to think about. Hope this helps!
Posted By: Nona Re: Lack of colostrum? - 08/14/14 02:33 AM
We may not provide colostrum for our babies. But we do have "premilk" it is loaded with vitamins as well. Your milk will be perfect for your baby. No worries!
© Ask Lenore Forums