home
Posted By: kimjimbo what about the green stuff - TMI - 08/29/07 03:14 AM
I feel stupid asking this but...
Abigail's poop has been green and watery for about 5 days now. We use Enfamil as the supplement but changed the the Enfamil Gentleease 3 days ago to hopefully help with the poops and the gassiness. Well they are still green, don't smell like fish anymore though, but today her diaper was more like green colored water (not even pasty). I know this is gross but should I call the dr? She's been eating every 2 - 2 1/2 hrs. When I bf with the lact-aid she feeds for about 20 minutes and goes through an entire 4 oz bag plus usually wants about 2 more oz (via bottle) afterwards before she seems satisfied. When I just bottle feed she seems to be satisfied with 4 - 5 oz.

One thought I have is can the domperidone be effecting her digestive system? or even any of the other herbs - Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle or Goat's Rue?

Uggh! I feel so bad for her - she moans and groans alot in her sleep and is just plain restless. Besides that I really could use more then 2 hrs sleep.

Any thoughts?
Posted By: Lalle Re: what about the green stuff - TMI - 08/29/07 04:13 AM
I don't think it is the dom or herbs. My last child had the green poop and we was on 100% breastmilk. The midwife said he could have picked up a bug in the hospital. She had me put acidolphilus powder on my finger or breast so he would ingest it. I recently got some baby bifidus to add to what my kids drink. I will get the name for you. You can try the carnation good start formula it has broken done proteins and is easier on the tummy.
Posted By: Lalle Re: what about the green stuff - TMI - 08/29/07 04:15 AM
The fishy smell is odd. Were you using soy formula?
Posted By: kimjimbo Re: what about the green stuff - TMI - 08/29/07 04:24 AM
Lalle,
No soy just Enfamil Lipil with Iron. I kinda feel like she may have a bug - belly ache, low grade fever (low 99's)and her poops. I guess I'll call the dr tomorrow.
I thought the carnation was better but the delivery nurse said it was much harder for the baby to digest and that enfamil was the easiest on the babes. Where can I get the powder and should I wait and talk to dr before I try that?
Sorry, just a bit frustrated,
Posted By: Lalle Re: what about the green stuff - TMI - 08/29/07 05:01 AM
I don't know what kind of stores you have near by. Fred Meyer, or a health food market. Where do you get your herbs. They should have it. Usually it is refrigerated. If you get regular acidophilus you need capsules so you can open them. I got a brand KAL Dinosaurs Supplements for Kids. It is called Baby Bifidactyl Probiotic Powder. I put it in my juice when I get tummy troubles. The instructions are 1/4 tsp once a day. But when I have a flare up or the kids get diarrhea I use it 2-3 times a day.
Posted By: Lalle Re: what about the green stuff - TMI - 08/29/07 05:02 AM
Did they give you enfamil at the hospital? Usually they push what their free samples are. I personally didn't like enfamil I am sure it has changed in 7 years but my daughter had issues and an LC told me to try the Carnation. It worked great for her. It is like it is predigested so it easier on their tummy.
Posted By: MummyBird Re: what about the green stuff - TMI - 08/29/07 03:41 PM
I have actually had the opposite proplem with the carnation. It turned my baby's poop black and grainy. I have actually found the enfamil to work better. I agree that she may have a bug.
Posted By: kimjimbo Re: what about the green stuff - TMI - 08/29/07 08:16 PM
Well we went to the dr and they think she may be lactose intolerant and put her on soy formula. They also said she might have a touch of colic and thats why she's so fussy this last week.
She's up to 10 # so nutrition is not a factor (she was born at 8# 8 0z just 26 days ago)
Guess we'll try the soy and see what happens.
thanks for ya'lls (showing i'm from the south) input.
smile
Posted By: Lalle Re: what about the green stuff - TMI - 08/30/07 04:16 AM
Kim if the soy doesnt' help there is a lactose free formula. Sometimes insurance will pay for the higher priced stuff if you get a script
Posted By: kimjimbo Re: what about the green stuff - TMI - 08/30/07 02:39 PM
Well the soy seems to be doing the trick. She slept good last night - only woke up once and she seems to be settled - almost stopped all the moaning and groaning. Also her "poop" had some form to it with the white flakes again. (the flakes are bm - right?? I think that's what I read somewhere). So maybe we're on the right track. My sis reminded me that our mother is extremely allergic to milk products so maybe it's genetic??
Thanks ladies,
Posted By: Lenore Re: what about the green stuff - TMI - 09/20/07 09:21 AM
How is everything now?

Best, Lenore
Posted By: kimjimbo Re: what about the green stuff - TMI - 09/20/07 04:09 PM
Thanks for asking Lenore,
She's doing great on the soy! She's eating 5 - 6 oz when bottle fed and about 4 oz when bf with lactaid. Her bm's are normal and she's a happy healthy little bean.
Kim
© Ask Lenore Forums